you still use hops in your beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys... a troll is a troll and a roll is a roll.. if you don't feed the troll then he don't eat no roll

3545158_l2.jpg

I made that up..:)

Anybody know any good True Beer (TM) recipes?

Asking for a friend.

5gal batch size at 75% efficiency

2lb Flaked Oats
2lb Flaked Wheat
2lb Rye Malt
5lb Toasted malt
9lb pale 2 row

mash at 145F for 120 min
boil for 30 min
cool and ferment with your favorite yeast.
:tank:

I cant really release my details as they are confidential in preparation for my launch.

You can cut the condescending tone any time 2015 join daters

Aww man! I'm a 2015 Join Dater...

Hi, I'm an extremely knowledgeable homebrewer when it is just that- up to 25litre brews. If I wanted to approach a big brewing company here in korea how would i adapt if I had to suddenly start brewing much bigger?
This is a possibility for me, I know its a tough queation to answer but what are some of the things i might want to consider?

It's been a pretty long ramp up period for your brewery but I know we're all interested now.

I'll add my name list to the people interested in a recipe, or at least some recipe advice. Traditional "hops" flavors are being bred down in the latest and greatest experimental hops, so it's certainly reasonable to suggest that you could cut them out in some styles.

Liquid bitters from the bar at the start of the boil and a pile of citrus zest at the end of the boil, I could see that tasting quite a bit like some beers I've had!

In sour beer production some brewers use just enough hops to meet the legal requirement for their state license. So yes if it is possible some Pro's would use no hops at all.

OK good to know, but this is the first time Ive seen the mention of sours come up... I have made berliners and lambics myself but to me anyway, its hardly what come to mind when someone says the word "true beer" its just a small category of beer styles

I worked at a brewery that made a Heather beer with no hops, just Heather flowers, plus there's a place near me that specializes in botanical beers and often doesn't use hops. Also Scratch Brewering sounds like they don't use them on lots of beers (they wrote a book called "The Homebrewers Almanac" that I hear good things about.

It's not really common but there are hopless beers out there made by pros
yes good to know again, if you read my post from a few days ago in this thread youd see I am aware their are specialty beers with all sorts of bittering substitutes but they are not really common in the marketplace and mainly sold only to a small market in the US these days.
That is not what seem to be implied by fredthecats comments.. he just made the a statement the pros dont use hops and that their secret..

Sorry, I think I skipped a few in the middle of the thread.

Yeah, it's a very small niche, it's interesting and would be fun to try to make some but I honestly don't know if I have the skills :)

Yeah I don't know what he's talking about, I think he's just trolling so I've tried to ignore him. I'm hoping this evolves into a thread more about interesting non-hopper beers

I can't wait to see this recipe

I've got 50 cents that says we never see it.

What's funny is this so called true beer that's so top secret that no recipe has been posted. So what is the purpose of this thread?

It's a troll. It was a troll from the beginning. Fred the cat promises to post the recipe "soon." Yeah. I've got a bridge to sell anyone who believes that. :)

I've got 50 cents that says we never see it.

It's a troll. It was a troll from the beginning. Fred the cat promises to post the recipe "soon." Yeah. I've got a bridge to sell anyone who believes that. :)

I don't want to lose 50 cents...

Ok Guys, I harvested a True Beer starter this afternoon. Planning to pitch this weekend so I'll need to get the rest of the ingredients soon. Do I need Crystal Rye?

scoop.JPG

it's funny how people get all bent out of shape when i just try to give some advice.

all im saying is that in major homebrew contests True Beer wins every time for aroma, taste and overall. No hops is the secret that the pros use. I will be posting my recipe soon.

feedtroll.gif.cfa9c1c2846be3cd7d96eb4197a5cc64.gif

OK, I'll pick up the ball.

I do want to know more about non-hops beers. Not trolling...I'm serious. I have never done one, though I have experimented a lot with additives like coriander, vanilla, oak, whisky, etc. But's always been in a hopped beer. I'd like to expand my knowledge on this. Maybe some people here could steer me to a good primer?

Hi Max. Gruits can be cool. My familiarity with no-hop beers are Scottish and Scandinavian historical beers - hops don't grow well in those climates and beers were brewed with other bittering herbs to provide balance against the malt. I've brewed a couple, but didn't keep the recipes and it was a long time ago so my memory isn't helpful. Heather is a common addition and mugwort (I think it has another name that is escaping me right now).

You might want to take a look at Randy Mosher's radical brewing book.

Hi Max. Gruits can be cool. My familiarity with no-hop beers are Scottish and Scandinavian historical beers - hops don't grow well in those climates and beers were brewed with other bittering herbs to provide balance against the malt. I've brewed a couple, but didn't keep the recipes and it was a long time ago so my memory isn't helpful. Heather is a common addition and mugwort (I think it has another name that is escaping me right now).

You might want to take a look at Randy Mosher's radical brewing book.

Thanks, Pappers. I think my first step is to learn about the various botanicals, their properties and what they add to the gruit. I just put Mosher's book in my Amazon wish list, for the next order.

I did find a recent HBT gruit thread, so will study up there, as well.

Ok Guys, I harvested a True Beer starter this afternoon. Planning to pitch this weekend so I'll need to get the rest of the ingredients soon. Do I need Crystal Rye?

So do you strain out the duckweed, or does that help with head retention?

So do you strain out the duckweed, or does that help with head retention?

I strain them out and do a 20-30min decoction while I use campden tablets to sterilize the remaining soup. I've found the added maillard flavors really helps the body of the starter. Once that's done add it to my hand-hammered artisnal copper coolship solera which has been behind the same Norwegian sourdough bakery for 25 years. For every starter I add I then draw a blended fresh pitch for the Truest of True Ales.

I'm excited about @Kev211 's suggestion of the double-toasted malt. I think that's just what the recipe is looking for!

I strain them out and do a 20-30min decoction while I use campden tablets to sterilize the remaining soup. I've found the added maillard flavors really helps the body of the starter. Once that's done add it to my hand-hammered artisnal copper coolship solera which has been behind the same Norwegian sourdough bakery for 25 years. For every starter I add I then draw a blended fresh pitch for the Truest of True Ales.

I'm excited about @Kev211 's suggestion of the double-toasted malt. I think that's just what the recipe is looking for!

Is that an inline decoction or a standard side by side decoction?

The inline tends to lend a smoother maillard flavor

Is that an inline decoction or a standard side by side decoction?

The inline tends to lend a smoother maillard flavor

I tried both and neither had the character I wanted.

Last time we were in the UK we smuggled out some larger bits of sandstone from a somewhat notable rock-based historic area West of Andover. I heat the stones in a small forge and then rotate them into the decoction pot to maintain a rigorous boil.

I tried both and neither had the character I wanted.

Last time we were in the UK we smuggled out some larger bits of sandstone from a somewhat notable rock-based historic area West of Andover. I heat the stones in a small forge and then rotate them into the decoction pot to maintain a rigorous boil.

I certainly hope that's a coal forge.. you can get off flavors from propane.

I personally prefer to heat my historical stones in an elderberry fire, it gives a very unique flavor.

I personally prefer to heat my historical stones in an elderberry fire, it gives a very unique flavor.

This is the type of insight HBT is famous for! I would have never considered toasting my stones over the sweet flames of elderberry, but that sounds incredible.

The next time I polish up the old decoction stones I will be sure to harvest some elderberry boughs first.

Eye of newt, toe of dog, chilled with baboons' blood.... Hadn't thought of using virgin mothers' breast milk, maybe in my next milk stout....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back