You know you're a home brewer when?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
when you finally make it easier on yourself on bottle cleaning/delabeling day by pitching the ones where the labels won't budge while soaking. Great Lakes & Small Town Brewing, I'm referring to you.

That is how I got most of my bottles. Rather than buy brand new bottles, I just shopped for filled ones with water soluble adhesive and pop-top lids. Saved a bit of money on shipping, and they came pre-filled!

I still find replacements this way...some people I share with seem to forget to return the empties back to me. :(

Your wife dumps a batch of red wine vinegar because of all the fruit flies it attracted on a day she kept a door open to work in the garage and keep track of the kids.

The positive side is she said it smelled good. Now just to figure out a way to keep the fruit flies from finding it...

Your wife dumps a batch of red wine vinegar because of all the fruit flies it attracted on a day she kept a door open to work in the garage and keep track of the kids.

The positive side is she said it smelled good. Now just to figure out a way to keep the fruit flies from finding it...
A piece of old pantyhose held on with a rubber band over the opening works for me.

A piece of old pantyhose held on with a rubber band over the opening works for me.

I double layered some scrap viol material I had from making a BIAB Bag rubber banded over the opening. She came in to the sight of 20+ fruit flies on and around the jar.

Think a carbon air filter would absorb the compound fruit flies are attracted to?

Last edited by a moderator:

Wait, you're a homebrewer, and your wife dumped something (when you weren't around, I'll assume) without consulting you? Party foul at best!

when you finally make it easier on yourself on bottle cleaning/delabeling day by pitching the ones where the labels won't budge while soaking. Great Lakes & Small Town Brewing, I'm referring to you.

Small town -aargh!! I have some of those soaking now - will either get tossed or will just have the labels left on and go in the "if I really need them" box along with the corona bottles....Great Lakes?? For me, these slide off when they just see the water. At least they have for the past year or so since I started collecting bottles.

These are a bit older than that. I found extras mixed in with some bottles for my collection that need shelves along the walls yet. Darn things won't budge for a bout 7-10 days. Small town Brewing's won't budge at all.

Wait, you're a homebrewer, and your wife dumped something (when you weren't around, I'll assume) without consulting you? Party foul at best!

I think we can safely call that one a personal foul, man! :mad:

Had a beer last night and the dang annoying flies that were left would not leave me and my beer alone. Right now I am telling myself it might have been the best thing to do. Just finalized a crazy idea for a filtered vinegar making chamber.
:mug:

These are a bit older than that. I found extras mixed in with some bottles for my collection that need shelves along the walls yet. Darn things won't budge for a bout 7-10 days. Small town Brewing's won't budge at all.

10 seconds per label after a 5 minute soak... I've yet to see any label stand up to it.

images

The sun is starting to come out to warm the earth with its shine, birds are singing the songs of love, flowers are starting to show their head to smile at the world, and there is a smell of life in the air...spring.
And you are just filled with horror and completly panicing cause it will totally ruin the fermentation temperatures in your apartment, so you got to get all your IPA and PA plans done now while you still can before switching to saisons and other Belgian styles for the summer.

The sun is starting to come out to warm the earth with its shine, birds are singing the songs of love, flowers are starting to show their head to smile at the world, and there is a smell of life in the air...spring.
And you are just filled with horror and completly panicing cause it will totally ruin the fermentation temperatures in your apartment, so you got to get all your IPA and PA plans done now while you still can before switching to saisons and other Belgian styles for the summer.

Swamp coolers holmes. Easy peasy.

When you're finally getting to the point where you're tired of even knowing you have bottles to clean. I like everything about'em but cleaning them.

When your wife is looking at grocery sales ads and asks if this or that commercial beer bottle will work since its on sale.
Quote from wife, " honey I washed your empty bottles for you"

The deciding factor between all of the following activities for Sunday is brewing beer because of the amount of "downtime" you would have outside to clean up dog poop after the the first thaw in 4 months:

Get your daily driver running right so you can stop driving your 12 mpg truck
Clean your house so you can actually invite potential roommates over to see the place
Brew a 10-gallon batch on your three tier so you can fill the last of your fermentors and honestly claim (for at least a day) that your pipeline is full...and clean up what must be in excess of 40 #'s of dog poo.

Wait, that was a joke?? Seemed like a good idea to me :) I grew up spreading our cat litter in the garden and tilling it in. We lived off our garden and the veges grew great!

Actually, if you compost about any form of manure, it is fit for use as fertilizer for human food (per the USDA no less). The problem with doing that with dog poo is that most have way to much animal fat in them so you can only use a very small percentage in a good, hot compost pile.

Either way, I personally would not be concerned anyway. Sure, there is minute risk if you were dry hopping (anything else gets boiled) with hops grown from dung but are guys thinking these things fly up in the air and attach to your cones and then survive the drying process and continue to survive until brew day?

City folk make me laugh.

The pathogens in dog crap will be killed either by the boiling of the hops or the alcohol in the beer being dry hopped.

Have you ever seen how green the grass is around a big pile of dog ****! :D I bet it would be great for hops.

millions of wolves, coyotes, lynx, mountain lions, rabbits, bears, deer, moose, elk, squirrels, rats, mice, opossums, raccoons, moles, badgers, armadillos, beavers, cows, chickens, pigs, boar, horses and all associated sub-species, plus billions of birds

all crapping everywhere, and you're worried about DOG sh*t?

The pathogens in dog crap will be killed either by the boiling of the hops or the alcohol in the beer being dry hopped.

Have you ever seen how green the grass is around a big pile of dog ****! :D I bet it would be great for hops.

Trust me...I have. The only reason I not just tilling my whole back yard under and seeding it is then I would have to water it daily for a couple weeks. Way too much effort.

millions of wolves, coyotes, lynx, mountain lions, rabbits, bears, deer, moose, elk, squirrels, rats, mice, opossums, raccoons, moles, badgers, armadillos, beavers, cows, chickens, pigs, boar, horses and all associated sub-species, plus billions of birds

all crapping everywhere, and you're worried about DOG sh*t?

Now now, lets not go talking common sense here...

Note to self: In future, only make jokes that are funny enough to at least be recognized as jokes.

I saw it as half joke & half serious. Sorry if I was only halfway correct.

Actually, if you compost about any form of manure, it is fit for use as fertilizer for human food (per the USDA no less). The problem with doing that with dog poo is that most have way to much animal fat in them so you can only use a very small percentage in a good, hot compost pile.

Either way, I personally would not be concerned anyway. Sure, there is minute risk if you were dry hopping (anything else gets boiled) with hops grown from dung but are guys thinking these things fly up in the air and attach to your cones and then survive the drying process and continue to survive until brew day?

City folk make me laugh.

I didn't see anything about composting in the initial post and if USDA recommends composting carnivore feces for use on human food crops I'd be interested in the citation.

Oh, and not a city folk here. I use my livestock manure fresh or composted depending on which type, when & where I want to use it. Chicken & turkey always get composted. Horse, goat & rabbit not always. Dog crap I just fling into a neighbor's swimming pool because, you know, chlorine.

I wasn't thinking that pathogens would find their way into the finished beer for the reasons you mention. I grow tomatoes, salad, berries, etc. in the same garden as my hops. I eat many of those while in the garden. I'd be more worried about that route of exposure.

Back