You know you're a home brewer when?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When you wish you'd have saved all those junior baby food jars for washed yeast...& the wife to snitch some PBW to soak her rings clean in.

When your 22 yr old daughter is the only one in her Biology class that can describe how yeast works. She explained the whole brewing and fermentation process the other day in class.

...when you almost feel the need to explain yourself to the cashier when you are picking up some Coors Light for a party.

Yep, grabbed a six of miller lite 16's at my local bar the other day and had to explain why I was getting them. They wouldn't let me leave till I did.:D
(it was for a beer can chicken btw)

...when you almost feel the need to explain yourself to the cashier when you are picking up some Coors Light for a party.

You mean the ground didn't split open and swallow you whole as the cashier rang you up?

Personally... I'm not going to chance it.

=-O

You visit the in-laws and notice how nice and soft the water is. You immediately think to yourself, "I could brew some great beer with this!"

Your father step-brother and nephew are disapointed you don't have any homebrew to bring to the family reunion next week.

When you go over to a aquaintences house and they tell you "Sorry but I dont have any good beers, I have some BL Platinum and some mexican beer. Or shots if that helps." He was genuinely sorry. It was touching. Then came the fun of explaining that I am not a beer snob, I just enjoy better beers, and can still drink the macrobrews. Settles for Dos Equis.

DrunkleJon said:
When you go over to a aquaintences house and they tell you "Sorry but I dont have any good beers, I have some BL Platinum and some mexican beer. Or shots if that helps." He was genuinely sorry. It was touching. Then came the fun of explaining that I am not a beer snob, I just enjoy better beers, and can still drink the macrobrews. Settles for Dos Equis.

No, I bring a 3 gallon keg just to be polite :)

When your upstairs neighbor's water heater leaks into your apartment so you have to turn the heat on to make sure things dry out quickly, and your first thought is "Maybe I should just let it dry out slower since I have a beer fermenting and id like to keep it in the mid 60's". Also, when you think the sound from the said event is just your airlock (tube into growler) churning since its at peak fermentation. True story.

When you drive 30 miles 1 way to buy a dollars worth of airlock?
Nope. A real homebrewer would spend at least a couple hundred bucks on stuff they don't really need in order to justify the cost of the gas used to get there and back. ;)

When you replace every soap bar/dispenser with a spray bottle of sanitizer.

Not sure if you're serious, but sanitizer is not a substitute for soap whatsoever. They do very different things. The same reason that brewing equipment generally needs to be cleaned first (with OxiClean, PBW, etc) before sanitizing. The porosity and texture of skin already render the StarSan pretty ineffective as it is, and the dirt, oils, and grime that are already on your skin and left behind (because sanitizers aren't generally meant to help remove them) make the sanitizer much less effective at the job they ARE meant to do.

Your father step-brother and nephew are disapointed you don't have any homebrew to bring to the family reunion next week.

They damn well should be! :D

You know your a home brewer when you walk in the door at midnight from a 5 day trip and the first thing you do is smell all your fermenters.

Nope. A real homebrewer would spend at least a couple hundred bucks on stuff they don't really need in order to justify the cost of the gas used to get there and back. ;)

Not sure if you're serious, but sanitizer is not a substitute for soap whatsoever. They do very different things. The same reason that brewing equipment generally needs to be cleaned first (with OxiClean, PBW, etc) before sanitizing. The porosity and texture of skin already render the StarSan pretty ineffective as it is, and the dirt, oils, and grime that are already on your skin and left behind (because sanitizers aren't generally meant to help remove them) make the sanitizer much less effective at the job they ARE meant to do.

They damn well should be! :D

Totally kidding, although that is good information :mug:

When you're gettin ready to make a cig & beer run,& you foolishly utter that dirty 4 letter word...R A I N! No sooner had those words popped outta my mouth than it started rainin again. & it was just startin to dry up. Just my luck too. My middle son has today & tomorrow off,need him to get under the car for parts removal,& bam. Every friggin time. Makes me wish I wasn't shot from the waist down. *no,that still works,but back & hips...fugettaboutit.

When you've got ear tonic in, and are still reading HBT with your head tilted at 90 degrees.

When you are constantly checking the weather forecast for good brewing days.
And when you're heart broke 'cause the forecaster was wrong!

pb

You ask your dad to bring 10 gallons of untreated well water from home when he comes to visit the grandkids.

...when you wish you could run down to the store and grab a sixer of the best all grain you have ever brewed, but you only have a sixer left in the fridge and no rebrew day planned...

When you fill out the agriculture form when visiting Hawaii and wonder what catagory brew yeast would be under.

ForumRunner_20130610_180829.jpg

Back