You know you're a home brewer when?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dkwolf said:
Man, this is your PRIME opportunity to pick up another fermenter, with SWMBO's permission and even encouragement!

I have a 6.5 gallon Carboy, two 5 gallon carboys and three 5 gallon buckets- I'm alright for a while! I guess you can never have enough but I'm saving for a kegerator. I got 6 free corny kegs from my work that I'll have to clean up and reseal so that's next. And a 20 gallon kettle..or keggle.

DarthMalts said:
I have a 6.5 gallon Carboy, two 5 gallon carboys and three 5 gallon buckets- I'm alright for a while! I guess you can never have enough but I'm saving for a kegerator. I got 6 free corny kegs from my work that I'll have to clean up and reseal so that's next. And a 20 gallon kettle..or keggle.

So you have one primary and 5 secondaries. If you don't balance that out, you are going to develop a limp.

You know you're a home brewer when you experiment with beer flavors that you've never had before...

Not saying it doesn't exist, as i'm sure it does, but I have never had an Orange beer before.

I made a batch of my regular milk stout that is absolutely fantastic... Since I did 10 gallons, I decided to experiment a little with it. I made up a couple of tinctures. One was vanilla from two Madagascar vanilla beans, and the other was orange peels. Both were soaked in vodka for about 2 months now.

I added the vanilla first, and it really softened the roasted notes. It made the "coffee" flavor taste very much like milk chocolate. That alone was pretty good.

I then added orange to it. At first it wasn't very noticeable, but as the beer warmed up (to the temp I prefer my stouts) it came out. It wasn't over powering by the least, but it was apparent.

I kid you not. It tasted like one of those chocolate orange candies you get for christmas. The kind in the foil that you "smash" to break apart. It wasn't sweet and it was just enough to know it was there.

It turned out pretty damn good... I think I'll bottle some and let them sit 'til christmas. I bet it will only get better with some time. Sounds like a great christmas gift.

I'm going to go to the store and get some Creme de Menthe extract to see how it does as an Andes mint beer too...

You've piqued my interest. Can you give some more specifics on those tinctures, namely the amt of vodka and how much orange peel? Also, I assume you used organic oranges?

Your sweet stout recipe would be welcomed as well.

...when your pre-chiller is a 60 feet of copper frozen into a block of ice and your chiller is another 60 feet of copper transformed into a nice wort chiller. Best part is that last brew session you used a $5 walmart bucket and 2 ten pound bags of ice. Not becoming too obsessed am I?

Prechiller and chiller.jpg

...when your pre-chiller is a 60 feet of copper frozen into a block of ice and your chiller is another 60 feet of copper transformed into a nice wort chiller. Best part is that last brew session you used a $5 walmart bucket and 2 ten pound bags of ice. Not becoming too obsessed am I?

Nope.

After Saturday night's brewing I realized my freezer can not make and store enough ice to chill water for the pond pump to circulate through the IC (sorry no pre-chiller. Might be the next step.). It hit me that I have an empty ice chest and an ice machine at work. The new plan is fill the ice chest full at work, bury the pond pump at the bottom and add water. Hello 50lb ice bath :rockin:

Home brewer when:
You begin to run low on bottles and brewing ingredients causing you to consider the fact that storage will be an issue in the future. Then realize winter is a good thing, the garage stays cold enough to use for more storage for the next 3-4 months.

insanim8er said:
The first rule of Home Brewing is: You do not run out of home brew.
The second rule of Home Brewing is: You Do Not Run Out Of Home Brew.
Third rule of Home Brewing: Someone yells stop, goes limp, taps out, they had enough home brew.
Fourth rule: never less than two fermenters going.
Fifth rule: drink one beer at a time, fellas.
Sixth rule: wear shirts, shoes are optional.
Seventh rule: Fermenting will go on as long as it has to.
And the eighth and final rule: If this is your first brew, you have to be patient.
I'm going to have this hung up in my brew shed

You find the thermometer (electric) that you forgot to take out of your pocket in the lint trap of the dryer.

You have 16 cases of beer in the basement and are still worried about coming up with enough bottles for the 8 cases you've got fermenting

When you break the floating thermometer,but you see it's only the rounded end that popped a hole in it. So you use it anyway,since the rest of it is still intact & functional. And you have an All Temp laser pen in reserve.

The first rule of Home Brewing is: You do not run out of home brew.
The second rule of Home Brewing is: You Do Not Run Out Of Home Brew.
Third rule of Home Brewing: Someone yells stop, goes limp, taps out, they had enough home brew.
Fourth rule: never less than two fermenters going.
Fifth rule: drink one beer at a time, fellas.
Sixth rule: wear shirts, shoes are optional.
Seventh rule: Fermenting will go on as long as it has to.
And the eighth and final rule: If this is your first brew, you have to be patient.

If this is your own handiwork, I salute you sir.

If not, then I thank you heartily for passing it along.

B-)

That's your million dollar t-shirt idea right there....

When your entire fridge smells like the hops you've been saving for dryhopping your IPA and you find yourself doing what the people in a Febreeze commercial do over and over again.

When it's holiday dishes filling the fridge time,& she asks if you're going to use all those jars of yeast in the fridge,as she needs the room next week!...:drunk::confused:...not to mention,the two styles of holiday beers chilling in there!

When your first reaction after getting a speeding ticket is knowing what you'll be doing while waiting on the boil.

When,against all odds,you find inventive ways to fight a lacto infection that threatens to destroy everything you've worked so hard to get right. Even in the middle of the rust belt,the fight continues. My Maori IPA has won such a fight. Even the carbonation exudes a joy that only it & the brewer,truly understand. Gotta love Anthony Bordain's Influence. Only a New Yorker like him would truly apprecieate such an endevor.

When you Google everything you think you might have done wrong only to find that all the top search results are from other worried home brewers posting the exact same problem in HBT threads, with the answer usually being: RDWAHAHB.

When your brewday is FIRM on the calendar and you have no idea when the next one will be but you're sick so you use the respirator sitting on the work bench.

When you're at the store and see the apple juice in 1 gallon glass jugs and you try to decide if 7.99 is a good price for a 1 gallon fermenter.

Also you try to think of how you can brew with the apple juice.

When you're at the store and see the apple juice in 1 gallon glass jugs and you try to decide if 7.99 is a good price for a 1 gallon fermenter.

$7.99 for the juice and jug not worth it (IMO)

How to brew I apple juice? You make graff with it.

aStoutObserver said:

I did it. Its a good price. See the thread Caramel Apple Hard Cider! Its amazing!!! When apple juice at walmart goes down to $4 a gallon, that makes the cost of these jugs $3, and thats a great deal!

I did it. Its a good price. See the thread Caramel Apple Hard Cider! Its amazing!!! When apple juice at walmart goes down to $4 a gallon, that makes the cost of these jugs $3, and thats a great deal!

Idk about where you Guys live, but here you can buy 1 gallon glass jugs on Craig's list all day long for $.50-$1

Then you can get Kirkland 100% pure apple juice for $3.99/gallon at Costco.

My point was not really that I was looking to get it, but more that I knew I was a homebrewer when that was the first thought that came to mind.

Latest posts

Back