You know you're a home brewer when?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah,but when the follower realizes he's following a fool,then he'd be the bigger fool. Knowledge is def withstanding in this instance...:D

When your morning coffee always tries to suggest another plan for the day...

image1-61025.jpg

I almost bought that coffee maker too. I settled for the fancier Mr coffee maker with strength settings. That way I could also get the Mr Coffee burr grinder as well. Not only for coffee beans,but makes nice spent grain flour too! It's always nice when your coffee maker reminds you of the better course of action for the day!...:mug:

I almost bought that coffee maker too. I settled for the fancier Mr coffee maker with strength settings. That way I could also get the Mr Coffee burr grinder as well. Not only for coffee beans,but makes nice spent grain flour too! It's always nice when your coffee maker reminds you of the better course of action for the day!...:mug:

we got this insert for the Keurig that uses a small paper filter and you can use whatever ground coffee you like

we haven't used it yet for the coffee we brought home from Jamaica, looking forward to it this weekend

That flexibility is always nice. I buy stacks of recycled paper filters myself. also good for use with a radiator filling funnel for filtering my Starsan occasionally The wider spout on the radiator funnel flows easier & faster. Those paper filters also get some of the milky stuff out as well.
Anyway,that Jamaican Blue Mountain is great for brewing up some Redneck Rocket Fuel. I need to get over to Caribou Coffee & get some of those beans. Although I'm pretty sure they're cut with cheaper beans by the time we get'em over here. Yours may likely bee pure Jamaican. High caffein stuff.

I use my bialetti moka pot when I want something really good, but have grown quite happy with the Starbucks Pikes Place k-cups for that morning jolt.

I am having trouble getting my burr grinder to the right setting for the moka and am having better luck just buying the premium italian coffee for that occasional cup.

I use my bialetti moka pot when I want something really good, but have grown quite happy with the Starbucks Pikes Place k-cups for that morning jolt.

I am having trouble getting my burr grinder to the right setting for the moka and am having better luck just buying the premium italian coffee for that occasional cup.

My Mr Coffee burr grinder has some 18 different settings for the grinder by turning the bowl left or right. Left is finer. All the way to the left is the Espresso settings that come out like a medium flour. Great for making spent grain flour & cleans up with a 1-2" trim brush made from hog bristle. Like those kitchen brushes from the store. "Good Cook" brand has nice ones,2 to a card @ Giant Eagle. Makes cleanin the dust a breeze.
Coffee grind settings are nice around medium...I'd have to look at the actual number though. This thing even has a 2nd setting for how many cups worth you want ground as well. Great grinder for $40 @ Walmart.

we got this insert for the Keurig that uses a small paper filter and you can use whatever ground coffee you like

we haven't used it yet for the coffee we brought home from Jamaica, looking forward to it this weekend

I could never get the amount of coffee right with the K-cup filter adapter. Ended up going back to a coffee pot and grinder. Got some fresh coffee from the coffee farm last time I was on Kauai, holy crap it tastes much better fresh from the roaster vs the store.

I'll bet. That's as fresh as you can get. The closest to fresh beans for me is Caribou Coffee. They have high turnover,so that's as good as it gets around here.

You guys are starting to worry me... Trying to turn this forum into coffee brewing?! :confused:

At least talk about making coffee beer with your Mr. coffee brew buddy.

I'm just kidding guys...kinda ;)

You guys are starting to worry me... Trying to turn this forum into coffee brewing?! :confused:

At least talk about making coffee beer with your Mr. coffee brew buddy.

I'm just kidding guys...kinda ;)

Hmmm, do I have enough grain left from the last stout to attempt a 1.5 gallon espresso stout.

Fixed :p

I have one. Happened to me Saturday night.

You fnid a barley tagalong stuck to you when getting ready for bed and start trying to guess what kind of malt it is. Hmmm... 2-row base grain? a crystal? Not dark enough to be a chocolate malt...

Well,hey,we were talkin about brewing. And I also use my burr grinder to make spent grain flour to bake with. Made some very rye-like biscuits the other day to go with some gravy & eggs. Now that was good. got an IPA happily burbling away to my right atm. Gunna brew another in the morning. both partial mash too.

when you order a refractometer before ordering a replacement drivers side window motor :D motor was eventually ordered a few days later!

When you also enjoy experimenting with spent grain flour to make tasty foods to go with your beers. Tonight,meatloaf & mashed taters with IPA grain flour biscuits. My 2nd attempt at perfecting my recipe with buttermilk & spent grain flour. IPA grains make for very rye-like biscuits.

I brew outside during the day; interior lighting is not an issue
Then you don't brew often enough. :)

That flexibility is always nice. I buy stacks of recycled paper filters myself. also good for use with a radiator filling funnel for filtering my Starsan occasionally The wider spout on the radiator funnel flows easier & faster. Those paper filters also get some of the milky stuff out as well.
Anyway,that Jamaican Blue Mountain is great for brewing up some Redneck Rocket Fuel. I need to get over to Caribou Coffee & get some of those beans. Although I'm pretty sure they're cut with cheaper beans by the time we get'em over here. Yours may likely bee pure Jamaican. High caffein stuff.
If you really want something strong, pick up a bag of straight robusta from Kenya.

When the September issue of Costco Connection is in your mailbox...and you don't have a Costco membership, and the magazine is addressed to someone in another town. :drunk:

View attachment 148918

your mailman likes you

EDIT: dang you, DrunkleJon! (need shaking fist smiley)

and that has to be my copy, because I have a CostCo membership and did not receive my Connection this month

When you mess up,but still forge ahead to try & unF' yerself. I got lucky with my mash that'd gone down to 148F & wouldn't go back up. Over the course of the one hour mash,wrapped up in my winter hunting coat,it went back up to 156F!! HOORAH! Vindication. That rich malty bread smell went all over the first floor from the mainly UK malts I used with some US & German grains. Looks like I'll get the color I want with these two batches.
So never say never...God may just take pity on your messed up process & work his magic on your wort.

When you wake up every morning and the first thing you do is check Craigslist for homebrew stuff...

And you find this:

20galpot_zps904d3d71.jpg

blichmann 20 gallon boilermaker with the false bottom! $200

I'm picking this bad boy up tonight!

It worked out perfect because I just sold a BUNCH of my extra stuff, so I had the cash ready to go!

While looking at houses for sale you make man cave/fermentation lab/beer cellar a non-negotable item.

Also you look for best access from brew area outside to run a silicone hose to your Brewhemoth in the aforementioned fermentation lab. All while making note of outdoor water faucets for chilling.

That's how I picked my house haha. Nice big deep sink in the basement, plenty of space for brewing and a bar and all that.

When a coworkers wife wants to set you up with the friend of a friend of hers, and you do your facebook stalking, figure out that she's a financial advisor and pretty cute....but you hesitate, because if it works out she's probably going to want to you move to her place (she lives in the town I work in...but I live 30 miles away), and you haven't finished your home bar yet.

Cart...horse.

unionrdr said:
When you also enjoy experimenting with spent grain flour to make tasty foods to go with your beers. Tonight,meatloaf & mashed taters with IPA grain flour biscuits. My 2nd attempt at perfecting my recipe with buttermilk & spent grain flour. IPA grains make for very rye-like biscuits.

By rye-like, do you mean hockey pucks?

rockbasementbeer said:
When you can't help checking the carboy at night. Even if it's just in secondary clearing up

Or at night, or when you're home for lunch....

insanim8er said:
When you wake up every morning and the first thing you do is check Craigslist for homebrew stuff...

And you find this:

blichmann 20 gallon boilermaker with the false bottom! $200

I'm picking this bad boy up tonight!

It worked out perfect because I just sold a BUNCH of my extra stuff, so I had the cash ready to go!

Color my green! That's a score! Well done.

Back