You know you're a home brewer when?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When you move to a new area, your coworker asks if you've been to any good breweries yet and your first thought is: "Yes, my garage."

Yup. Good work sir.

Thank you :D

Find a place to refill, don't exchange. You're throwing away money!

I usually hit up the uhaul place near my house for the refill about its 17 dlls but since exchanging it was much much closer and only 21 it made more sense. I really need to just buy another 2 tanks and quit having the problem. If only I wasn't renting I would go natural gas.

I usually hit up the uhaul place near my house for the refill about its 17 dlls but since exchanging it was much much closer and only 21 it made more sense.

I've been told those exchanges are only 75% filled, whereas when you refill it's 100%, so it makes the savings even greater. Also if you have a Tractor Supply Co. check them out because they're significantly cheaper for refills than my local uhaul.

I've been told those exchanges are only 75% filled, whereas when you refill it's 100%, so it makes the savings even greater. Also if you have a Tractor Supply Co. check them out because they're significantly cheaper for refills than my local uhaul.

Man I really am throwing away money with the exchange. I'll look into the tractor supply, hopefully there is one near by. Do they also sell new tanks for cheap?

When your brew stand is never really done... added a shelf for the propane tanks today... need to add a strap of some sort(bungee probably) to keep them from moving. I also built a sparge bar from copper... how well it will work is yet to be determined... tomorrow or Monday! Grain has been crushed so I am ready to go except for washing the kettles out(dust from the garage, crud form burning off new burners).

IMG_20160604_1715208131_zpsfuspvymt.jpg

Man I really am throwing away money with the exchange. I'll look into the tractor supply, hopefully there is one near by. Do they also sell new tanks for cheap?

Also check with UHaul, it's significantly cheaper there than anywhere else around here

Your wife is gone and you're too lazy to cook or go out for dinner so you figure a bowl of buttered noodles is the ticket. For the first time in your life you think of things like water additions, boil off rate and "mash thickness" as you boil the noodles.

Your wife is gone and you're too lazy to cook or go out for dinner so you figure a bowl of buttered noodles is the ticket. For the first time in your life you think of things like water additions, boil off rate and "mash thickness" as you boil the noodles.

Since when are buttered noodles not cooking?

You are drying spent grains on your driveway to spread on the lawn because you read it was good for the soil and you read about it on a homebrew forum

Craigslist is the place for buying tanks. You'll just buy the ones that people would normally exchange. Pretty easy to find em for less than $20. Not bad considering you can't buy a "new" one at the exchange for less than like $20.

Craigslist is the place for buying tanks. You'll just buy the ones that people would normally exchange. Pretty easy to find em for less than $20. Not bad considering you can't buy a "new" one at the exchange for less than like $20.

I'll look into Craigslist I could use a few extra tanks. I always have that paranoia that imma run out of gas mid boil.

I'll look into Craigslist I could use a few extra tanks. I always have that paranoia that imma run out of gas mid boil.

I have one that I get refilled and I have one of the exchange tanks. That way I always have a spare and I can always get a refill. Even if I run out of gas during and brew day and can't get my tank refilled, I can go exchange a tank. I always keep my "good" tank and not trade it in.

When you read about people's propane woes and feel grateful to have stumbled upon the electric brewery.

Man I wish.... I have two 230 v 30 amp sockets available to me just aching for an electric system. Maybe once i get some funds together. Just out of curiosity how much was your electric set up?

I have one that I get refilled and I have one of the exchange tanks. That way I always have a spare and I can always get a refill. Even if I run out of gas during and brew day and can't get my tank refilled, I can go exchange a tank. I always keep my "good" tank and not trade it in.

Sounds like a good system. So there's tank you can only refill?

When you are trying to study and you set a sip of homebrewed beer (or cider) every exercise , and you get drunk soon so you leave math quickly.

IMG_20160609_201923.jpg

When the most prominent item in your living room is a rack of brewing supplies, you have ferment buckets on your kitchen floor, and the spare bedroom has carboys of homebrew clearing in secondary.

The joys of being single!

Man if I was single my entire home would look like a brewery. Dining table? Who needs one!! that area is going to have a chest freezer as a giant glycol tank feeding multiple ss brewtech brew master edition conicals. Sigh... A man can dream.

Sounds like a good system. So there's tank you can only refill?

No. They're all the same. I just have one tank that I bought new and I refill it at a local gas station. My second tank is one that I got at one of the exchange stations and trade it in when it is empty. Those tanks aren't always in good shape, but they are safe and usable. I can almost always exchange the tank, but there are times that the place that I get my tank refilled may be closed.

I have had 3 major joint surgeries, those things are sweet to keep you from freezing to death after surgery! Dang operating rooms are always 50 degrees and a hospital gown is not exactly warm...

oh, yeah, the BigHair definitely appreciated it, she was freezing. I understand the reasons why they would want to keep it cool in the surgery wing: #1 - germs don't like the cold & #2 - electronic equipment doesn't like the heat

I was thinking of how I could use it with my BrewPi. would have to either put this entire thing in my ferment chamber or drill a hole big enough for the hose

Man I wish.... I have two 230 v 30 amp sockets available to me just aching for an electric system. Maybe once i get some funds together. Just out of curiosity how much was your electric set up?

Like anything else in this hobby, electric brewing can be as expensive as you want it to be. I rather keep it simple so I built an eBIAB controller with 1 PID for my 5500 watt element. Maybe $300 and I think that's including the GFCI, element, etc. It's been about 3 years since I built it and it was the best brewery upgrade I've made.

Back