You know you're a brewer if...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...you consider whether Star San might be helpful when SWMBO starts experiencing some feminine itching.

Great thread!

When you survey every corner of the house upstairs and down with a digital thermometer in search of the perfect fermenting temperature.

When you forget about the water boiling out in the garage thats sterilizing your "yeast washing jars" and create enough steam to peel off the dry wall tape from the ceiling. DOH!

Your home office looks like this and if your boss who's 300 miles away only knew, he'd have a heart attack!!!

office1.jpg

You're brewing on terra incognita, your Dad turns off the running water for the house (so you have no chilling water), you have to explain to your Mom what you are doing, you have nothing but a 4-cup measuring cup to transfer wort from the kettle to the fermener because you aren't at home base, and you still made beer.

TL

You get a nasty sinus infection because your co-workers (co-drinkers) give you back a case of ez cap bottles that you didn't check but in fact were not cleaned and had the tops locked down festering for weeks. You finally go to clean them and realize as the dog runs out of the room that each bottle is a unique science experiment *cough - cough* (New work edict - if you don't clean the bottles before you give them back you don't get more. Goes with the first edict, if I give you beer at work and you forget to take it home you lose it the next morning when I come in and find it on your desk...)

When you're taking homebrew over to a friends house and am trying to fiqure out the best way to buckle it up so its safe if you get into an accident!

When you go to a beer store that is known for its large selection of beer and there are more beers that you have tried than you haven't tried.
Even moreso when you have a hard time finding a new beer

..... when you have left one of those 'good/fancy' restaurants just because you didn't like their beer selection.

Yep! I just found myself saying that last night...

Yep.

I love to see the look on my BMC friends when I give them a growler of my beer and tell them to take it out of the fridge an hour before they want to drink it. What they don't realize is that BMC has to be served at extremely low temps so you don't taste any of the nastiness it has to offer.

If setting up the tree on black Friday involves bottles, not tinsel...

If you're a man and your first instinct is to head toward the kichen section of the store, rather than hardware, or automotive...

If Portland, OR appeals to you more than Hawaii as a winter family vacation spot...

when you drive 4o plus miles to got o your local supply shop.

Ha! I drove 138 miles roundtrip today to a shop. Spent 1.5 hours kicking around the store. Walked out with ideas for my next four beers and 1 ounce of irish moss.

It's just crazy...

If setting up the tree on black Friday involves bottles, not tinsel...

If you're a man and your first instinct is to head toward the kichen section of the store, rather than hardware, or automotive...

If Portland, OR appeals to you more than Hawaii as a winter family vacation spot...

Haha vacationing in Oregon does appeal to me!

Ha! I drove 138 miles roundtrip today to a shop. Spent 1.5 hours kicking around the store. Walked out with ideas for my next four beers and 1 ounce of irish moss.

It's just crazy...

HA! 2.5 hour round trip for me...left with a pound of hops and two packages of yeast. Well worth the trip!!!!

The cop posts made this one come to mind...

If you've ever left the brewshop and hoped that if you get pulled over the cop wouldn't find your stash of stout smelling, green leafy substance and not buy your story of what it really is.

"Son, don't lie to me. I know weed when I see it."

- When you Father in Law replaces the electric heat with a hot air furnace and you won't let him hook up the spare rooms so that you can lager in winter...

- When you are freaking out about having enough bottles to take care of the beer coming off today, knowing that you don't have any for the beer coming off in two weeks, and are seriously thinking of giving up and starting kegging...

- When you read to the end of this post before bothering to check if the bottles on the tree are dry...

- When you can't find anything commercial worth drinking, but your hubby emptied the pipeline and you consider not drinking until you have a new pipeline...

If you've ever left the brewshop and hoped that if you get pulled over the cop wouldn't find your stash of stout smelling, green leafy substance and not buy your story of what it really is.

"Son, don't lie to me. I know weed when I see it."

This is a good one! I worried about the same thing after getting my leaf hops from a hombrew club bulk buy. I handed the coordinator a wad of cash and he handed me a bag of dank smelling American leaf hops... in the parking lot of a book/music store. I didn't think about it until I started driving and realized how that may have looked. The mix of American hops gave my truck an unusual illicit smell too. ;)

When you drive through town on garbage day and see an old weight lifting bench and grab it knowing you can incorporate it into your brew sculpture or start a whole new one.

Haha vacationing in Oregon does appeal to me!

Or... If you move to Portland for the beer, and still take up the Homebrewing hobby!

- When you are freaking out about having enough bottles to take care of the beer coming off today, knowing that you don't have any for the beer coming off in two weeks, and are seriously thinking of giving up and starting kegging...

Or... If you keg, and realize that you're gonna have to head out to the store to get some cases of bottled beer to accommodate the brews you have coming ready next weekend, 'cause you're out of kegs!

- When your wife asks you if you've rinsed all the potassium metabisulfite out of the baby bathtub so the baby can actually bath in it...

- When your children argue over who gets to put the priming sugar in the next bottle

- When you are lecturing your family on why beer is light sensitive while interrogating them as to who took the cover off of the carboy.

- When the sun angles in just that special way that you can see the dust in the air and you wonder if there's any yeast floating around in there

- When you go on vacation you are more concerned about people breaking in and taking your beer then your electronics

When you have a hidden stash of bottles and growlers in the basement because your husband doesn't understand that you need those!

Back