You guys are going to get me in trouble . . .

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
landhoney said:
<insert cricket chirping noise here> Is this thing on? What do you guys think?
You are attempting a beer well outside of what most people have created, and you are trying to clone a beer very few people have tasted, so I'm guessing there are very few people who could make any strong recommendations.
Your beer looks very interesting and definitely an experiment worth doing. I will be interested in the results in a couple years. Your recipe and plans look to be well thought out.
Craig

Update: Last Friday(today is Tues) was the fifth day of 'feeding' and aerating. OG plus the five feedings put it at ~1.193-1.200. On Monday I checked the gravity and it was 1.068 so its going well, that's 60+% AA so far, less than three days after the last feeding. Hopefully, after following whitelabs guiddelines and also not pushing the yeast to ther limit, I will achieve their reported 80+% AA for wlp099 and get a beer with a low enough FG. After tasting how much hop bitterness has faded from my barleywine I also hopped the last two feedings very heavily to up the IBU's, if its going to need 1 year+ to age I think it will definitely need it. So far so good.

Obviously I'm too late, but to answer your question, Moravian malt is an undermodified pilsner malt used in Bohemian pilsner style beers (Czech pils). Marris Otter is probably a fine substitute.

Good luck with this one! I'm impressed!

Yuri_Rage said:
Good luck with this one! I'm impressed!

Well that's a feather in my cap. Mr."to-h*ll-with-your-conicals-I'll-make-my-own", is impressed with little ol' me. Pot calling the kettle black Yuri. Thanks for the encouragement.

Update: Gravity is down to 1.040 and its still very cloudy which usually means there's still a lot of yeast in suspension and its still working. So now its sitting at around 20% ABV and AA of 79%, I'm hoping it will finish in the 1.02-'s but might not get quite there(whitelabs says 80%+ AA so hopefully I can squeeze out a few more percentage points). All the oak is marinating in its various spirits for when fermentation is complete. So far so good.

Any update on this? Been thinking about something like that but on a smaller scale.

Damn you guys. Now I think I want to do a monster like this too. Except I'm thinking five seperate 1 gallon batches, blended together to reach 5 gallons. Buahahaha.

I am going to go find some lunch. Then I think I'm gonna get my pen and paper and start planning.

Back