Oatmeal Stout Yooper's Oatmeal Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewing this Saturday with 1099. Wondering if anyone has used 1099 in stouts before and if they liked the results.

Yeah, I used to be an S04 "fanboy", but after I made some changes in my brewing set up with the water, I noticed a "tart" flavor that I just didn't like. It was ok, if the fermentation temperature stayed under 62 degrees or so, but I just didn't like that slight flavor I got from it. I did love the way it left a super clear beer and it finished so quickly.

I used up all of my S04 packages on cider and that turned out great!

My all time favorite yeast strain for this beer is Denny's Favorite 50, Wyeast 1450.

I have both in kegs now and will do a blind tasting next week at our home brewers club to see if I have any tart or metallic issues cropping up. We have SO MANY tap rooms around us now (NE) that my perspective of what constitutes a good example of a what is typical of a style is tainted.

Update: Going to add cold brewed coffee to the S04 batch to head off any off flavors from the yeast.

Last edited:
Made a 10G batch of this today. It's currently sitting in the BK at about 95*F settling out before i send it to the fermenters. Gotta love plate chillers in the winter... from 212 to 95*F in 5 minutes for 12.5 gallons.

Mash was a huge hassle. The whole grist turned to a solid dough ball as soon as i added it to the strike water. Stirred for a while but then it plugged the false bottom. Anyone else have this grist be so sticky?

I ended up scooping all of the mash into fermenter buckets so i could clean up the false bottom. Cleaned it, put the mash back in, added a few gallons of strike water to heat it back up (lost 15F) and thin it out, then had no problems recirculating for the rest of the time.

Efficiency looks good around 90%.

My batches were sticky too but I just poured the brain bill slowly and stirred a lot. A couple of dough balls but nothing big.

I brewed this recipe up yesterday and I'm super excited about it. I couldn't get ahold of any 1335 and I missed the posts about using Denny's so I used 1098. OG was 1.058 because I added an extra pound of Maris to offset any efficiency issues I sometimes have. I'm really excited to try this one out. Can't wait to get it in the keg.

Brewed this yesterday too for the first time. OG was just slightly higher than Yooper's but no big deal. The issue I am having is fermentation.

I used WLP002 using their pure pitch packet and I think I goofed it up. I have never used one of these packets before so I ended up just cutting the packet open and trying to dump it in. The liquid poured off first and then I was just left with the yeast sludge in the packet that I had to squeeze out like a Gogurt packet. Fermentation has not really done much in 12 hours so of course I am freaking out. I usually see pretty vigorous fermentation by now but not much going on here. I've also never used WLP002 before so maybe this is normal?

If I don't see any activity in another 24 hours I am probably going to pitch a packet of S-05 which is my go-to yeast most of the time anyway.

Really hoping I didn't screw this up as it smells and tastes delicious already!

EDIT: OK, well I pulled out the blow-off set up and peered into the bucket and there was a nice brown krausen on it so it is definitely fermenting. Popped a traditional airlock on it and it started bubbling like mad, blowing Starsan out of the top. Switched back to the blow-off since I know it is fermenting along nicely and I'll stop fretting over it and just let it go.

We are sitting down with a AHA scoresheet and are going over the batch from December 28th. We hit a 41 out of 50 (amateurs) on this new brew so I would say it's an overall success! So far, this is my favorite stout and is much better than any other off the shelf item that is a straight stout with no adjuncts.

It gets bottled tomorrow as the carb level is almost there. I have the labels printed for the Minnesota Mashup contest and will deliver them by this weekend and since this is my first ever competition, I am WAY psyched! :ban:

Brewed this for the first time today. I brew in my garage and probably not a good idea with 15 degree weather out. Had some issues during clean up as things weren't drying as much.

Gravity ended up at 1.058, 5 gallons in fermenter. I'll report back.

If bottling this beer, would it be best bottle aged? How long would be optimal?

I am trying to incorporate home brew into my wedding possibly as a wedding toast and am considering this recipe as one of the available beers. I have plenty of time to plan so just trying to get some ideas.

If bottling this beer, would it be best bottle aged? How long would be optimal?

I am trying to incorporate home brew into my wedding possibly as a wedding toast and am considering this recipe as one of the available beers. I have plenty of time to plan so just trying to get some ideas.

It seems like the consensus in this thread is 3 weeks in the bottle minimum so if you can age it longer, I think it will only get better. I just read through this entire thread (again) the other day because I just brewed this on Saturday and I was trying to get a feel for how long people were aging it in the bottle/keg.

It seems like the consensus in this thread is 3 weeks in the bottle minimum so if you can age it longer, I think it will only get better. I just read through this entire thread (again) the other day because I just brewed this on Saturday and I was trying to get a feel for how long people were aging it in the bottle/keg.

Appreciate the leg work! :mug:

In less than an hour I am attempting this recipe. I have never had an Oatmeal Stout so it is all new to me.

I will however be using Whitelabs WLP005 as I can't get Wyeast.

I have also swopped the Black Barley for Roasted Barley.

Can't wait to taste it!

My batch appears to be done and fully flocced after 6 days... I see the recipe calls for letting this sit on the cake for a while... any reason not to keg it in the next day or two?

FWIW it was pitched large, healthy starters at 60F and held at 64F +/- 1F.

Three weeks? Why is everyone rushing this beer? It really hits its stride at 3 MONTHS. Seriously. Set aside a few, and try them at 3 months. You can thank me later. :)

Three weeks? Why is everyone rushing this beer? It really hits its stride at 3 MONTHS. Seriously. Set aside a few, and try them at 3 months. You can thank me later. :)

Yeah. My keg ran out, but I've got 2 cases bottled and ageing. Just gotta stay out of them.

Mashed at 156 and the crush was done by the store.

Did two batch sparges at 167

Added 0.8G water during the last part of boil (Not sure how this affect the gravity)

That could be what pulled your FG down 12 points.

You'll have a session stout. Ride it out, see what you end up with. It could still be really good beer. :)

I agree, it's easy to do, I was running 1.070 on a brew tonight and added a gallon of water to the boil late to reduce it and it took me down to 1.058, needed 1.065. It made it but its really easy to add too much.

Don't worry PJ, I have a 2 ABV beer on tap that started a 1.020! The kids were at it tonight when we were brewing.

Question regarding the oats. When milling the grain do you mill the oats as well or is that not needed?

I brewed this last weekend...1.058 OG but only down to 1.020. I used 1098 because I couldn't get any 1335. I fermented around 67 degrees. I've raised it up a degree or two and tried to rouse the yeast to get it down a couple more points. Samples taste great.

I couldnt find black barley from my supplier and got Crisp roasted Barley. What differences will this make?

Question regarding the oats. When milling the grain do you mill the oats as well or is that not needed?

I have thrown them into the grain bill bucket with all the barley and run them through the mill and have added them to the milled grain after BUT I don't ever recommend adding the oats by themselves. Instant dough ball! :(

Yeah, I used to be an S04 "fanboy", but after I made some changes in my brewing set up with the water, I noticed a "tart" flavor that I just didn't like. It was ok, if the fermentation temperature stayed under 62 degrees or so, but I just didn't like that slight flavor I got from it. I did love the way it left a super clear beer and it finished so quickly.

I used up all of my S04 packages on cider and that turned out great!

My all time favorite yeast strain for this beer is Denny's Favorite 50, Wyeast 1450.

Just had my first taste of the batch with S04 and I see what you mean. I added some coffee to flavor it some and while it help some, the sample ends somewhat metallic/tart. This one will get bottles up and let sit for some time so hopefully, it will mellow some over time.

Brewed this today. Can't wait to try it. Any idea what all of the fluffy stuff is that is settling down towards the bottom. I have seen this on my last several brews.

Beer.jpg

Brewed this today. Can't wait to try it. Any idea what all of the fluffy stuff is that is settling down towards the bottom. I have seen this on my last several brews.

BIAB?

A nice mixture of hop debris, grain particles, and various proteins. It'll all settle in the bottom. Mine look like that too. Like a big carboy lava lamp. ;)

Hello all.

I've read about the slight tartness that US04 and Notty may leave behind. So my question is, would US05 be ok to use with Yooper's recipe? I'd like to brew it this weekend. Due to my work schedule, I don't think that I will have time to make a starter and a dry yeast would probably be necessary. Any other dry yeast suggestions?

Thanks everyone!

Hello all.

I've read about the slight tartness that US04 and Notty may leave behind. So my question is, would US05 be ok to use with Yooper's recipe? I'd like to brew it this weekend. Due to my work schedule, I don't think that I will have time to make a starter and a dry yeast would probably be necessary. Any other dry yeast suggestions?

Thanks everyone!

Yes, the S05 works fine but the S04 gave mine a slight metallic taste, not really tart to my palate but there nonetheless. I added coffee to mask the flavor since coffee has a bitterness to it naturally.

Anyone know the answer to this? They're both unmalted. Is it the same thing?

I feel like this comes up every 2 months in this thread. Briess Black Barley is an unmalted, roasted, 500°L grain. Any other brand of roasted (unmalted) grain with a lovibond rating of 500°L should work just fine.

I have a batch fermenting away at 65. I used 1318 I'll report back later with results. Number was 1.056

EDIT: its's been a month since brew date gravity is down to 1.022. I mashed at 156, kegging today. Sample tastes lovely, velvety and balanced.

I will be brewing this tomorrow. I increased the base malt by a few pounds. I am doing this to add a little more alcohol, and because I don't have my all grain process down quite yet, so my efficiency is quite low..I'm figuring about 65%."

I'm sure there are answers in the 96 pages of this thread, but has anyone experimented with different yeast options? I'm sure S-04 will be fine, it's just that my spot for fermenting is about 66F-68F ambient, which can be a bit high for S-04. My other option is in my basement at about 60F ambient.

I will finally be brewing this tomorrow as well! I am going to use either English ale yeast or British ale yeast from white labs. Depending on what my LHBS carries.

I will be brewing this tomorrow. I increased the base malt by a few pounds. I am doing this to add a little more alcohol, and because I don't have my all grain process down quite yet, so my efficiency is quite low..I'm figuring about 65%."

I'm sure there are answers in the 96 pages of this thread, but has anyone experimented with different yeast options? I'm sure S-04 will be fine, it's just that my spot for fermenting is about 66F-68F ambient, which can be a bit high for S-04. My other option is in my basement at about 60F ambient.

It's actually been recommended to not use S-04 due to a tart or metallic taste it seems. The original recipe is stated as using WY1335 (British Ale II), but Yooper has also said that her favorite to use is WY1450 (Denny's Favorite 50).

Back