Oatmeal Stout Yooper's Oatmeal Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewed ten gallons of this today. Thanks for the recipe, Yoop. Brew day went flawlessly. Can't wait to taste it.

Has anyone tried this with Wyeast 1318? It's been my favorite lower attenuating (vs Wyeast 1028) yeast after a stuck fermentation with 1968. I suspect a slightly lower mash temperature might be required with that yeast (154F?).

unfortunately my stuck fermentation with WY1968 was an oatmeal stout that left bad memories of the style but I want to try again with a popular recipe.

Looking to make this recipe next week. Do you think it will squeeze into a 5 gallon round cooler? I have a 10g cooler too but plan on using that for an IPA at the same time.

We mashed this recipe in a five gal cooler, filled to the brim, turned out great but finished with a pretty high fg even after re-pitching. Still an amazing beer though.

Just popped the first bottle of a batch of this, and it's probably the best beer I've made. (Sure, it's only my fifth batch of beer, but still).

Thanks for the recipe.

I just brewed this but realized I used roasted barley with about 600 lovibond instead of the black barley. Anyone else do this or know how much it will change the flavor?

Has anyone tried this with Wyeast 1318? It's been my favorite lower attenuating (vs Wyeast 1028) yeast after a stuck fermentation with 1968. I suspect a slightly lower mash temperature might be required with that yeast (154F?).

unfortunately my stuck fermentation with WY1968 was an oatmeal stout that left bad memories of the style but I want to try again with a popular recipe.

Yes I used 1318 and I loved it. Check out my post with results here:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f68/yoopers-oatmeal-stout-210376/index24.html#post4708722

Wondering if anybody has added lactose to this? How long from brew day is this ready to drink, if bottling? I plan on making this with or without lactose after Christmas, just trying to plan my schedule for next year.

So I brewed this up a while ago, but substituted rye versus oats and black patent for the black barley. I also added 8oz of cold brewed coffee (8 fluid ounces of water and 4 ounces by weight of dunkin donuts coffee).

Fermented for 10 days, 2-3 weeks in secondary, and about 5-7 days force carbing at 15psi.

Results were amazing. The 5 gallons went quick. Brewing up 10 gallons of this on Saturday.

I made this a week ago Tuesday so it's been fermenting for 9 days at 65 degrees. I made a starter for the first time also but didn't aerate it enough I think. I hit the target starting gravity but it's been stuck at 1.020 for the past 2 days. Any chance this will ferment anymore? I have some dry yeast that I can add if needed. Or, should I just keg it and start another beer? I've only made 3-4 all grain batches so far so I'm still learning.

I made this a week ago Tuesday so it's been fermenting for 9 days at 65 degrees. I made a starter for the first time also but didn't aerate it enough I think. I hit the target starting gravity but it's been stuck at 1.020 for the past 2 days. Any chance this will ferment anymore? I have some dry yeast that I can add if needed. Or, should I just keg it and start another beer? I've only made 3-4 all grain batches so far so I'm still learning.

I've had this stop before at 1.018, and at 1.020. It sounds fine!

Wait about 5 more days, so that it's about a week at FG then go ahead and keg it. It might need to sit at room temperature a week or two in the keg, for the flavors to meld well.

Still really enjoy this beer, for the season. Made some for the family for T-day. Looking forward o the people hat say they do not like dark beers, more for me or until they try some? I am thinking after they try some they will drink the keg dry. God Bless all over the holidays.

Wait about 5 more days, so that it's about a week at FG then go ahead and keg it. It might need to sit at room temperature a week or two in the keg, for the flavors to meld well.

Yooper, I've got 10 gallons of this in the fermenter right now. I've never let a keg age at room temperature before. Do you keg and carb it at room temp, or do you keg and then age at room temp and then carb in the cooler?

Yooper, I've got 10 gallons of this in the fermenter right now. I've never let a keg age at room temperature before. Do you keg and carb it at room temp, or do you keg and then age at room temp and then carb in the cooler?

Personally I cold crash mine, just by turning down the temp in the ferm. Then transfer to a keg and carb in the kegerator at 36 degrees.

Yes, that's exactly how I do it.

Has anyone used the Fawcett Pale Chocolate for this recipe?

I use pale chocolate all the time, and I think that Fawcett is one of the only maltsters that makes it and is commonly available although I know Hugh Baird makes one as well (but I've never seen that one in a store).

Thanks for the answer. The only other pale chocolate I found was Crisp, and from the description in the recipe, I was assuming that's maybe what you had used. I'm assuming they're both pretty close anyway. Thanks again!

I'm getting ready to brew this on the weekend and instead of black barley I have black malt. Having never used either before any opinions on how this may change things?
Thanks

I'm getting ready to brew this on the weekend and instead of black barley I have black malt. Having never used either before any opinions on how this may change things?
Thanks

Black malt is black patent- it's harsher and more acrid, but I think others have subbed that for the black barley. I don't know, as I haven't done that.

I thought that might be the case, I'm trying to figure out what use to stay away from the harsh/acrid taste and black barley is not readily available. I'm wondering about adding a bit more chocolate to replace some of the black. I also have some carafa III but I haven't done a lot with these very dark grains to have a very good idea of what I'll end up doing to the finished product.
So any help/advice is greatly appreciated.
Thanks

I'd like to make this next weekend, and I'm about to make a starter of S-04 for some ESB I'm going to make midweek. It would be great if I could step some of that starter up for this beer. Has anyone made this with S-04 and how were the results?

I just kegged this years batch and had a growler left over. I've been drinking it all day and it even good now!

I'd like to make this next weekend, and I'm about to make a starter of S-04 for some ESB I'm going to make midweek. It would be great if I could step some of that starter up for this beer. Has anyone made this with S-04 and how were the results?

I pitched S-04 with this recipe yesterday. Won't have a good answer for a few weeks of how it will turn out but as S-04 usually does it was bubbling within the first 10 hours. This thing smelled great in the mash/boil. Can't wait to share this one with family and friends for Christmas.

Just kegged the batch i brewed on 10/15 and fermented with Denny's Favorite 50. Forgot to check FG before cold crashing, measured today it was about 1.020, (SG was 1.054). A bit high, but I guess this may have been expected considering that i overshot my mash temp. Broke my first hydrometer by dropping it on the floor, and not realizing that i also broke the sample tube made a huge mess. (Why is beer pouring on the floor? Where is that coming from? oh ****!)

Since i had more than fit in the keg, I filled a 22oz bottle i had sitting around, and primed it with a few grams of brown sugar. After 10 batches, my first bottle conditioned beer!

The small bit of wort i recovered after making my mess tasted pretty fantastic. Can't wait for this to carb up.

I know this is an old thread but I just brewed this last night, when I tasted the wort, it tasted amazing. Really excited to have this for Christmas! My OG was 1.058. Not sure if this was because I had to swap out some grain that my lhbs didn't have or if the wort boiled down more than expected. Thx though! Will share results in a month!

Just brewed this today. Ended up at 1.053 and the wort smells great. I pitched S-04, I'll let you know how it turns out!

Brewed this recipe on 10/17 OG 1.060 Mashed @ 152
Fermented @ 60f with US-04
Bottled on 11/7
Placed a bottle in the fridge the morning of 11/22 and tried late 11/24

By far my best stout/porter to date. Very smooth, subtle roast, subtle chocolate, definitely not overly sweet. As balanced as the OP advertised. Will definitely brew again and will use US-04 for all of those that asked about it.

I love this stout. I have made it before and it is always great. This time I am substituting Roasted Barley for Black Barley. Not my choice--it's what the lhbs had in stock. Has anyone else tried this substitution and how was it? I would be ok with a "roastier" coffee flavor, but not an extreme change. I am brewing it either way--would just like to know.

I've used roasted barley in this recipe. Came out excellent. Wasn't overly roasty or anything. Still pretty smooth.

I just brewed it with roasted barley. Mine came out more brown than a black stout color. Tastes pretty good though

What a find....this recipe had only been conditioning a bit over two weeks when I cracked the first tube right before Thanksgiving, and it's great. Wish I'd found it earlier.

Just brewed this up today with slight modifications: substituted 2 oz. UK Kent Goldings leaf hops @ 6.6%AA for the Williamette, and added 4 oz. of Hershey's cocoa powder at 10 minutes. Used one packet Safeale S-04 for my yeast. This is my second all-grain batch and was surprised that even with a semi-stuck sparge and needing 9 gallons of water to get just under 7.25 gallons of pre-boil wort, I nailed the OG. Thanks Yooper! So far everything looks great. THe wort definitely had a noticeable creamy coffee flavor. I plan to rack over a vanilla bean when I get to Secondary to cut any bitterness the cocoa may impart.

I brewed this today and can't wait to taste it. Had to use wlp005 and blackprinz subs so we will see.

I'd like to add my thanks and a great big thumbs-up for this recipe. I'm enjoying a pint of it even as I type these words. I brewed it almost two months ago and it just keeps getting better and better. Cheers!

I'm fairly new to adjusting recipes. I can only get Chocolate 350 SRM instead of the 450 SRM listed in the recipe. I know the amount is really small (2oz)--I'm just wondering if there is any reason to adjust the amount of 350 SRM that I add to make up for the fact that I can't get the 450? I'm assuming the 2oz is just added for color anyway. Thanks for the help.

Latest posts

Back