Yikes! The bag split during the mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raysmithtx

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone else had this happen?

I brewed a Brown Ale yesterday and everything went great, at least I thought so until I saw what was in the bottom of the kettle after draining into the fermenter.

I had a LOT of grain in the bottom of the kettle because the bag had a big hole in it.

I didn't notice until I was ready to clean the kettle so the wort was already in the fermenter with yeast poured in and aerated.

All of my numbers were good so it didn't affect the sugar extraction and I didn't see any burned grains or discoloration on my heating element (eBIAB) so hopefully I won't get burned/scorched flavors in the beer.

I'm using a Speidel fermenter so I really can't tell how much grain is in there.

What should I expect from this problem?

I think you would risk extracting tannins from the grain husks during the boil. It might be noticeable or it might not.

Same thing happened to me last week brewing a 9 gal batch of California Common.

After removing the bag we ran the pump for 10 min or so, recirculating back into the kettle through a hand-held kitchen strainer. I had thought not much grain escaped from the 2" tear, but we filled up the filter a couple of times with grain that was floating around in the wort.

My main concern is extracting tannins from the grain during boil, with a secondary concern of having cloudy beer at the end. If it tastes OK and doesn't clear up, I might explore some clarification process (gelatin?).

Rather than getting a new bag, I'm looking into getting a basket from here or here.

If you hadn't pitched the yeast, I'd run through a kitchen strainer. I had to do this when my bag broke. However, as you've pitched the yeast, I'd worry that straining would allow much of that yeast to settle on the strained grain and not go where you need it.

If there isn't a massive amount of grain, I wouldn't worry too much about it. It should act much like regular trub. Plus, if you boiled the grain, you've likely extracted tannins from the grain already. Fermentation wouldn't bring much more out. It'll settle out just like any regular trub.

Wilserbrewer posted a tip at some point about sliding a spoon in to cover the probe and then lifting the bag away from the spoon/probe. Good precaution but doesn't help this time :) .. helps next time !

It didn't catch on the thermometer. I do use a basket and the bag was in the basket. It was a paint strainer bag that I had used before. I recirculte during the mash and I stir quite freguently too.

I'm moving up to a larger kettle and have the bag for that but haven't silver soldered the Tri-clamp in it yet.

I use fining so the beer will hopefully be clear but I guess I won't know about tannins for a while.

Thanks for the replies.

I made 2 voile bags. Had a hole tear in one, in a spot that had puckered a bit due to refiring the kettle. Now I refrain from brewing in the cold weather when I may need to refire the kettle.

I use fining so the beer will hopefully be clear but I guess I won't know about tannins for a while.

Thanks for the replies.

Please try to keep us posted on the tannin issue. My understanding is that to extract tannins from the grain/husks two conditions need to be met:

Temperature > 170F
pH > 6.0

If your mash pH was in range (5.2 - 5.6) then your boil pH should be very close to that and you should not have extracted any tannins, in theory at least :eek:

Heck, for a decotion mash the grains get boiled, though most likely a smaller quantity and for a shorter duration.

I'm personally interested because I'm trying to troubleshoot some dry/tart/twangy issues in my own brewing :D

Back