Yet Another "What's The Best?" Thread (best way to get started)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meadiator

Reaction score
So I know that this is a topic that has been discussed in the past, but I would like the most recent support with my purchase.

What is the best way to start brewing beer? What's the best kit? I would like to buy a kit that I can use right away, hops and all. Does such a thing exist? Would it be best to just buy everything separately? I already have a capper and bottles, but that's pretty much it.

Thanks, guys. I'm really excited to get into this part of homebrew.

I also started with a brewers best kit, it was an amber ale extract with a partial steep, but the whole kit came with:

two 6.5 gal buckets (primary fermenter and a bottling bucket)
racking cane and subsequent hoses
a no rinse cleanser
one airlock
bottle capper
2 cases of bottles
1 hydrometer
1 amber ale extract kit

I may be missing something its been a while however it was the starting off point and had all we needed but we added a SS 30 quart brew pot and some extra caps

This kit my buddy got for his birthday and we essentially opened it all up and made beer, came with and easy to follow book and a recipe guide.

If I had to choose a kit again I would go the same route however I think I would spend the extra little bit on a larger pot as I am now pushing the limits for a 5 gal all grain batch.

Agreed with everyone's suggestion to buy one of the starter equipment kits. Personally, I'd go for one of the slightly upgraded ones like (http://morebeer.com/products/personal-home-brewery-kit-2-deluxe.html) that has a Better Bottle instead of a bucket and some other small upgrades.

I'd say to buy at least an 8-gallon pot, especially if you EVER anticipate trying all-grain (you likely will) because you'll need something bigger than 5 gallons for that.

Then just buy an extract recipe kit and you're ready to go. Have fun!

I started with the wort in a bag kits like FestaBrew or Brewhouse, gave me a chance to get my head around sanitizing, fermentation, bottling etc. I'm on my 3rd kit and I'm started to add steps to my process such as dry hopping and cold crashing. Next step is to start making yeast starters and looking for a used freezer to build a fermentation chamber to help control fermentation temperatures. Sooo much to learn!

Are there any "advanced" brewer kits out there that would save me some trouble down the road? I'm definitely trying to avoid plastic as much as I can, PET or not. Thank you very much for the links though. I found a few things I think I might buy because of them.

Why avoid plastic? Take a spin around these forums for broken glass carboy horror stories.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Why avoid plastic? Take a spin around these forums for broken glass carboy horror stories.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Well I guess it probably isn't a big deal with beer, but with mead and wine, it really affects the brew and ruins the flavor. Glass carboys are also just nicer looking, in my opinion.

Well I guess it probably isn't a big deal with beer, but with mead and wine, it really affects the brew and ruins the flavor. Glass carboys are also just nicer looking, in my opinion.

It looks cool for a few hours till it goes in the closet. I only use plastic buckets. They are cheap, easier, more durable, and if anything happens to them, throw em away and get a new for $10. In all reality, the cons of glass far outweigh the pros. Unless u plan on fermenting ur beer over a month (likely not) plastic is the way to go.
Also, I bought or made (mostly made) all my stuff to start out with for around 50$ (minus the pot and burner, I had both already) which was way cheaper than any starter kit. I'm getting a thread started on paper before I post it about what and how I made everything. (Racking cane, mash paddle, auto siphon, bottle cane, stir plate,wort chiller, tun, fly sparge, sight glass, all made for almost nothing from stuff in my garage. FYI I have A LOT of stuff in my garage ;) )

Spend a bit more on a bigger kettle now and get a 10 gallon. You can do full-volume extract batches, and when you decide to jump to all-grain, you'll be set.

Buy the good stuff from the beginning and you'll only buy it once.

An immersion chiller is another must-have, and you can build one from some annealed copper tubing, vinyl hose and a couple hose clamps. You can chill from boiling to pitching temps in about 15 minutes or so. Beats cooling your BK in a sink full of ice water for hours.

It looks cool for a few hours till it goes in the closet. I only use plastic buckets. They are cheap, easier, more durable, and if anything happens to them, throw em away and get a new for $10. In all reality, the cons of glass far outweigh the pros. Unless u plan on fermenting ur beer over a month (likely not) plastic is the way to go.

Also, I bought or made (mostly made) all my stuff to start out with for around 50$ (minus the pot and burner, I had both already) which was way cheaper than any starter kit. I'm getting a thread started on paper before I post it about what and how I made everything. (Racking cane, mash paddle, auto siphon, bottle cane, stir plate,wort chiller, tun, fly sparge, sight glass, all made for almost nothing from stuff in my garage. FYI I have A LOT of stuff in my garage ;) )

Well there are a couple other reasons is prefer glass, like the fact that if you scratch plastic when cleaning it, it becomes a breeding ground for bacteria. Do they make steel fermenters? Maybe that would be a good middle ground for me. I'm not opposed to plastic, I just really don't like it lol.

Either way, I really like the idea of a DIY project, and I would more than likely attempt most of the things you include in your tutorial! Let me know when you post it if I don't notice it!

Do you have a local home brew shop? That's where I'd start. That's where I started. Found a patient, helpful owner who walked me through the process, helped me pick out my equipment and recipe all within my budget, and even gave me his cell phone number for when I brewed that night, in case I ran into a problem.

There really is no 'best' way. There's a lot of trial, hopefully not too much error, sometimes some panic, and mostly reward of a killer hobby with a fruitful ending.

Above all, like any new idea or endeavor, just do it. Take action and start brewing.

Cheers! :ban:

Well there are a couple other reasons is prefer glass, like the fact that if you scratch plastic when cleaning it, it becomes a breeding ground for bacteria. Do they make steel fermenters? Maybe that would be a good middle ground for me. I'm not opposed to plastic, I just really don't like it lol.

Either way, I really like the idea of a DIY project, and I would more than likely attempt most of the things you include in your tutorial! Let me know when you post it if I don't notice it!

Um, just how clumsy are you? My buckets are years old and aren't scratched yet. They don't need steel wool scrubbing, just a gentle sponging with a non-abrasive cleanser will do fine. Your beer will be fine in a bucket fermenter for several months too should you feel the need to leave it that long.

I'll suggest the most basic kit for brewing beer. The deluxe kits are to suck more money from your pocket more than for improved brewing. I'll also suggest you forgo the 10 gallon pot for now. You can get a 5 gallon one pretty cheap and it will let you explore the extract kit beers. You'll know when it is time to upgrade to a bigger pot and you'll have a good idea then of what size will fit your brewing best. That small pot? If you can't think of other uses for it, you aren't thinking hard enough.:mug:

+1 on the 10 gallon boil kettle! I have a 44 quart(11 gallon) that I started with...I started brewing doing full volume boils. The transition to all grain was much cheaper. You will want a kettle that big, as the extra head space will help prevent boil overs. Boil overs suck on an unbelievable level.

"IF" you are serious about the hobby, and plan to someday go all grain...it's best to prepare for all grain. It will save you money and headaches down the road.

What does this en-tale? Well...
1st...a full volume boil pot...which we just covered.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000VXHKMC/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
2nd...a big L.P. burner. The 15,000 btu burner that came with your turkey fryer will NOT be big enough to bring 7 gallons of wort to a boil. Trust me, I know from experience. I bought this unit...and I freakin love it! And, the price has dropped since I bought mine.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/King-Kooker-12-Portable-Propane-Outdoor-Double-Jet-Cooker-Package/21012095

3rd...get accurate scales. This one works great for hops and other small weight additions.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001RF3XJ2/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
And this one for measuring grains
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001N07KUE/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
4th...a glass 6 gallon carboy as a primary fermentor.

You can use all of these for both extract brews and for all grain. Cost is fairly low, quality is pretty high. Enjoy!:mug:

Last edited by a moderator:
Um, just how clumsy are you? My buckets are years old and aren't scratched yet. They don't need steel wool scrubbing, just a gentle sponging with a non-abrasive cleanser will do fine. Your beer will be fine in a bucket fermenter for several months too should you feel the need to leave it that long.

I'll suggest the most basic kit for brewing beer. The deluxe kits are to suck more money from your pocket more than for improved brewing. I'll also suggest you forgo the 10 gallon pot for now. You can get a 5 gallon one pretty cheap and it will let you explore the extract kit beers. You'll know when it is time to upgrade to a bigger pot and you'll have a good idea then of what size will fit your brewing best. That small pot? If you can't think of other uses for it, you aren't thinking hard enough.:mug:

I'm not particularly clumsy, I just don't like the possibility. Geez, so much hate just because I said I don't like using plastic haha. I might end up using it if I I feel like going the cheap route, but I'm not worried that I won't be into the hobby, and will most likely end up getting the more expensive equipment sooner or later. Thank you for all the help guys, I'm gonna order my first set of beer equipment tomorrow.

I'm not particularly clumsy, I just don't like the possibility. Geez, so much hate just because I said I don't like using plastic haha. I might end up using it if I I feel like going the cheap route, but I'm not worried that I won't be into the hobby, and will most likely end up getting the more expensive equipment sooner or later. Thank you for all the help guys, I'm gonna order my first set of beer equipment tomorrow.

I'd much rather face the possibility of dumping a batch of beer due to getting an infection from a scratched bucket than the slight chance of getting a trip to the emergency room from a broken carboy. One of those two might cost $50 or so, the other ........who knows. I live 20 miles from the emergency room. I might not live to see the entrance if I got cut up badly.

Best is relative. I started with the Mr. Beer kit I found on clearance at Bed, Bath and Beyond. Sure it made bad beer compared to my first 5-gallon brew, but I spent less than 30 for the fermentor and three batches of beer and I learned that I wanted to brew beer even if not all my attempts turned out well. That was what made me realize I really wanted to brew beer instead of it just being another hobby I tried and did not like.

I'd much rather face the possibility of dumping a batch of beer due to getting an infection from a scratched bucket than the slight chance of getting a trip to the emergency room from a broken carboy. One of those two might cost $50 or so, the other ........who knows. I live 20 miles from the emergency room. I might not live to see the entrance if I got cut up badly.

I wish I didn't just look up all the cons of a glass carboy. That's some scary stuff. I'd rather be safe than sorry, though. :||

I use plastic, I also have 2 glass carboys. I've found the key with plastic, is to rinse them immediately after transfer with some warm water, swirl that around and get the trub mixed up, then I just use the palm of my hand to go over everything and get off any crusties. Dump and do the same thing again. Usually after two times, the bucket looks clean, so I just put more warm water in and a couple of scoops of PBW, let that dissolve, then use a soft sponge to go over it with a good cleaning and rinse well.

The key is just to get everything off before it has a chance to dry and become crust. I've never had to scrub a bucket. I actually would like to use the glass more, but I'm so paranoid about breaking one, that I rarely use them. I'm a big of a brute when it comes to cleaning stuff and I know one day I'd just end up dropping a full carboy on the ground and have a trip to the hospital on my hands.

Glass or plastic is really just a preference. There is no right or wrong way, just the way you prefer.

I use plastic, I also have 2 glass carboys. I've found the key with plastic, is to rinse them immediately after transfer with some warm water, swirl that around and get the trub mixed up, then I just use the palm of my hand to go over everything and get off any crusties. Dump and do the same thing again. Usually after two times, the bucket looks clean, so I just put more warm water in and a couple of scoops of PBW, let that dissolve, then use a soft sponge to go over it with a good cleaning and rinse well.

The key is just to get everything off before it has a chance to dry and become crust. I've never had to scrub a bucket. I actually would like to use the glass more, but I'm so paranoid about breaking one, that I rarely use them. I'm a big of a brute when it comes to cleaning stuff and I know one day I'd just end up dropping a full carboy on the ground and have a trip to the hospital on my hands.

Glass or plastic is really just a preference. There is no right or wrong way, just the way you prefer.

Can you use Oxyclean on Plastic?

Latest posts

Back