Yet another, 'what the hell is this growing in my beer' thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Husher

Reaction score
So I threw together two coopers kits for 6 gallons with Nottingham ale yeast three weeks earlier. After some krausen, and f location, I racked. the day after what I though were yeast rafts appeared. WTF, so a few days after that, this appears. It's kinda like krausen, but It's got me concerned as a result of the bug bubbles I don't see in other brews. The SHAPE looks like infection, though the colour looks right. What the hell is this? There are multiple bubbles over 2 inches in diameter (hope you can tell from the shots). this is not my first brew, but I haven't really observed this before. Especially since it's a secondary and the yeast fell from suspension before racking. Did I kick up a secondary fermentation? Also it's my fourth time using Nottingham.

Also, I added some pumpkin pie spice after making a TEA with boiling water and letting sit for a few minutes. I though that was enough but now I'm worried...

IMG_3220[scaled].JPG

IMG_3221[scaled].JPG

IMG_3222[scaled].JPG

Could be nothing. Only thing you can do now is wait it out. Try not to worry about it.

That looks like straight out fermentation which strongly suggests it was racked way too early. Did you take an SG reading before racking?

Cheers!

That looks like straight out fermentation which strongly suggests it was racked way too early. Did you take an SG reading before racking?

Naw, I haven't taken a gravity reading since my first or second brew. After 3-4 weeks I just assume fermentation is done and then secondary for 4-5 months. I figure no real harm can occur as long as fermentation is complete before bottling. And 4-5 months should be plenty of time for that.

Thanks

I should add that this was one of two rackings with exactly the same scenario except the spice addition. Two coopers kits, same timing, Nottingham yeast... Only very different outcomes. The second carboy is showing no sign of activity. Thus the panic.

if the one that had the spice addition is the one that is foaming I'd guess that there were some sugars in the spices that were added.

disclamer: i'm new and may not know what im talking about lol.

Edit: i'd be almost certain that pumpkin pie spice is loaded with sugar.

Throw it away, that thing is getting bigger!!

Just kidding, it is beautiful fermentation.

if the one that had the spice addition is the one that is foaming I'd guess that there were some sugars in the spices that were added.

You know...that makes a lot of sense....though I thought spices by definition didn't have sugar, but what do I know....Hmmm. Sugar and spice....

Just an update on this if anyone cares or for future reader reference....

Had to dump. Had some weird kinda SCOBY (like kombucha). Bottled it before I realised what was at the bottom of the jug. Kept it as an experiment but after a week I'd open and they were shooting off like coke and menthos bottles, so I let the whole batch go on my porch before I had an explosion. Not one of them was under-pressured.

Definitely some kind of infection.

Did you taste it?

Yeah, but I had to spit it out. It was horrific. Had some semi gelatinous growth in each of the bottles. Fricking disgusting. Like beer floating on slime with varying degrees of thickness.

Imagine pouring a beer and it starts with the usual flow but then lumpy bits, and then a connected mass of goop slowly pours but you can't stop pouring because half the mass is still in the bottle and it's holding on tight to the other half.

Naw, I haven't taken a gravity reading since my first or second brew. After 3-4 weeks I just assume fermentation is done and then secondary for 4-5 months. I figure no real harm can occur as long as fermentation is complete before bottling. And 4-5 months should be plenty of time for that.

Thanks

Why secondary so long? Unless it's a big big beer age is not necessarily your friend. When I first started I made a kick ass beer with that can of Coopers real ale, made me a believer that I could brew my own. Cheers.

Back