Yet another Turkey Fryer flame issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cotillion

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I recently got a North American Outdoor 35 qt Saf T Cooker fryer thing. I read that it would be a good idea to boil some water in the aluminum pot for a while before brewing, so today I decided to give it a shot.

I was never able to get the flame mostly blue, and it was a pretty large flame the whole time. Didn't make much noise (is there supposed to be a jetting noise with it?) and I messed with the air shutter and the regulator for 30-40 minutes. When I tried turning the regulator high, I could smell the propane (mercaptan) - is that normal?

The water never boiled, and I am getting the impression that it should not be like this. This is all new equipment and a full propane tank. What am I doing wrong and how should I troubleshoot this? What should I be seeing/hearing/smelling as I do this?

Thanks all

Not sure exactly what equipment you have, but I'm betting you are making a very easy to make mistake (one that took me a trip to a propane seller to learn).

All newer propane acme nuts (that screw onto the propane tank) have internal flow safety shut offs in them. When using larger burners such as turkey fryers you have to equalize the line to prevent the safety valve from tripping.

So just open the propane valve with the burner turned off, only 1/4 turn for about half a second. Then close it quickly. Do this 5-6 times until you hear the acme nut click. Tis sits the safety equalizing pressure. Then only leave the propane bottle turned on 1/2-1/4 turn. Then when turning on the burner dont wick it open, rather take a second to open it up all the way. It should sound like a jet with no problems.

Let us know if that works

Thank you for this response. I have not yet had good enough weather to try it out, but here's hoping this is the solution to my problem.

So I finally got a chance to try this. The fryer company even sent me a new regulator and hose, which I tried. I was still unable to get a torch-like flame, instead dealing with a large, silent, orange flame.

The company has offered to send me a replacement burner, but I am unsure if there is STILL something I am doing wrong myself.

THE RESPONSE QUOTED BELOW WORKS! Just tried this while strugglin for the first time with my first turkey fryer on Thanksgiving Day. Had a good flame, but not big enough to bring the oil temp beyond 200 degrees F. Since I had no previous experience with a burner this size, I was unaware the flame was insufficient strength until an hour prior to dinner time.

Was a near failure and was feeling like I was gonna have to give up and throw the dang bird in a pressure cooker to at least be able to serve up some Thanksgiving day meat to the family.

Was very grateful when I stumbled across this gentleman's advice/insight after a third Google search. Our problem turned out to be EXACTLY what he described. And after following his simple advice, all was well, and pardon the pun, but "we were cookin with gas"!!!

LOL!

Thanks for the help "rshosted"...you saved our Thanksgiving!!!

SW

-------------------------------

Not sure exactly what equipment you have, but I'm betting you are making a very easy to make mistake (one that took me a trip to a propane seller to learn).

All newer propane acme nuts (that screw onto the propane tank) have internal flow safety shut offs in them. When using larger burners such as turkey fryers you have to equalize the line to prevent the safety valve from tripping.

So just open the propane valve with the burner turned off, only 1/4 turn for about half a second. Then close it quickly. Do this 5-6 times until you hear the acme nut click. Tis sits the safety equalizing pressure. Then only leave the propane bottle turned on 1/2-1/4 turn. Then when turning on the burner dont wick it open, rather take a second to open it up all the way. It should sound like a jet with no problems.

Let us know if that works

Latest posts

Back