(YET ANOTHER) plate chiller question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VonMessa

Reaction score
Presently I use an immersion chiller. I am going to pull the trigger on a Therminator within the next month.

Here is the question....

To cool down a 10 gallon batch from boiling with average 55-60 deg. F cooling water, will I need to make more than one pass through a plate chiller?

I ask this because I am in the middle of re-engineering "the machine" in the basement (ver. 3.0 now) and need to know if Ishoud plumb an output to fermentor AND to BK from chiller (to recirculate as I cool), or will I need to make only one pass (on average) through plate chiller.

That's completely dependent on your tap water temp. Mine is at around 54* all year round so I chill in 1 pass with a plate chiller from dudadiesel.com.

You may not need to spring for the therminator. I cool my 10 gal batches with a shirron.

Wow, you guys are quick ! :D

I was hoping that would be the answer. :rockin:

I'm lucky enough to live in Southeastern PA and my tap temp is never warmer than 65 deg. F on the hottest Summer day.

And actually, I was going to go the DudaDiesel route.

:mug:

I get 10 gal down to 60F in about 5 min with my thermenator. but its friggen cold here right now.

That's completely dependent on your tap water temp. Mine is at around 54* all year round so I chill in 1 pass with a plate chiller from dudadiesel.com.

what size is your chiller?

Thanks

Joe

I have the small 20 plate, it works just fine for me. I run my hose water at full speed and have my boil kettle valve around 1/2 open. I use gravity, a hop sock and the "Cheap and Easy Aeration Gadget". Works a charm for me!

I just used my therminator for the first time and had to slow down the water flow... to keep from going below ale pitching temps... but the water is cold right now..probably less than 50. And was very easy to clean...but I use whole hops which might make a big difference.

Back