Yet another newb lagering question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bacon

Reaction score
So I've got my standard oktoberfest kit, just finishing up a d-rest, here's my plan followed by my question:

I don't have a proper container to lager it in, however I do have a fridge that can maintain lager temps. What I do have are two empty 4L Carlo Rossi wine jugs with stoppers and airlocks, and one 2L growler from a microbrew pub with a fliptop. I figured why not split the batch into the two 4L bottles and one 2L bottle, then prime/carb/bottle lager the rest and then I can compare taste, etc.

Question1: is that dumb and should I just bottle all of it?

Question2: If it isn't, then is it ok to lager in the 2L flip top because it's a sealed container? I know headspace is bad for lagering, but im worried about blowing the thing up if I leave to little and some ferm. is still happening. I'd rather not see the inside of my fridge painted with oktoberfest a month into the process.

Someone please tell me to RDWHAHB.

Your ideas for experimentation are fine and will give you a good basis for comparison with bottle lagering/true lagering, but I would just spend the extra $3 and get a stopper and airlock for the growler, otherwise it might not finish up properly.

Back