Yet another first brew thread...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simpleton

Reaction score
Brewers log: Its dark outside.

After successfuly bypassing my fridge's thermostat with my adruino type board, I decided it was time to brew.

This is an extract kit I bought at a local liquor store.

Brewers Best Bold Series: American Nut Brown.

I added the herbs and whatnot that came with the kit to grain-panty that came with the kit, added 2.5 gallons of spring water to my 16qt SS pot.
3201158323_e5734d2123_b_d.jpg

Added heat until my pyrex thermo-majig read 160 degrees. Let the grain-panty soak in 165-167 degree water for 20 miniutes, then removed grain-panty.

I then turned heat up untill boiling, removed from the burner and added my liquid malt and dry malt, stirred untill mixed then returned to the burner. Brought wort up to boiling, stirring often, Then added bittering hopps. Let boil 45 miniutes then added finishing hopps. Note, each hopp addition makes the wort quite foamy, watch for boil overs.
3201182397_9f3cf68446_b_d.jpg

Continued to boil 10 more miniutes. Stirring often as foam become more problematic since addition of finishing hopps. After waiting the 10 miniutes I added the aromatic hopps. After adding the amomatic hopps I let boil 5 miniutes then removed pot and placed it in sink to cool.

After letting the pot cool in the sink for 2 water changes then I poured it into my ale pail. Topped off ale pail with water(up to 5 gal mark) and messured temp. Was still above 100. I thought I had gotten it much cooler than that, oh well. Next batch I'll need to build an imersion cooler.

Placed lid loosley on the ale pail and placed it in my adruino clone controlled fridge. fridge temp is curntly 64, I'll wait and take temp later. Once it hits 70 I plan on pitching and locking the lid down.

At this point I fell asleep on the couch.

When I woke in the morning, the mort temp was down to 64. Pitched yeast and took a sample before I locked down the lid.

My starting gravity was 1.062, perfect according to the recipe.

Now the hard part. Waiting.

While I am in the mood to post pics, here are some shots of my fridge and controller.

3202050526_c24d91f7ee_b_d.jpg

Here is where I bypassed the internal thermostat and plugged in my relay. The green wire was donated my my old BMW airhead.

3202050534_d6c82cf5de_b_d.jpg

Here is a shot of my controller. The bread board has a transistor on the left to drive the relay and an LM35 temp probe on the right.

3202050560_576ae195cd_b_d.jpg

And here is a shot of the output to my computer.
3202050578_0f6af5babb_b_d.jpg

Here is a link to a crappy little video of the lock bubbling away. Sorry its quicktime, but thats all my crappy little camera will do.....

Bubbles!

I know I should not have done this, but I had to take a look. These pics were taken about 34 hours after pitching.

Kraeusen!​
3204207390_a05f540470_b_d.jpg

A closer look...

3204207394_107163d5a4_b_d.jpg

These pics were taken about 34 hours after pitching.

Interesting pics. My first brew, also a nut brown, I had the discipline not to open it up, but now I get to see your pics. cool. Thanks for the pics, fun to see.

Nice pic of your kraeusen. Now close that lid, leave it closed until racking/bottling time, and don't ever do that again!

Holy crap, if you stare at the second krausen pic for like 20 seconds it looks like it's bubbling/moving!

Latest posts

Back