Yet Another, First AG recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkaBoneBenny

Reaction score
So this is hopefully my first AG recipe, a summer IPA based on a recipe from Brew365. I'm looking for something crisp and citrusy, something that would be refreshing on a hot summer's day, but also nice and hoppy.

Here's the recipe:

OG: 1.066
FG: 1.017
ABV: 6.3%
IBU: 50
5 Gallons

GRAINS:
11.75 lb Two-row
0.5 lb Carapils
0.5 lb Crystal 60

HOPS:
0.5 oz Magnum (60 min)
0.66 oz Cascade (20 min)
0.66 oz Amarillo (10 min)
0.66 oz Cascade (5 min)
0.66 oz Amarillo (5 min)
0.66 oz Amarillo (Flame Out)

Think it's overhopped at all? I'm looking for a lot of citrus.

-Ben

If citrusy is what you like, then you have hit it on the button. The recipe, especially the hopping schedule looks like one a friend of mine brewed last year. He won a couple of competitions with it as a fruit beer. He entered it as a grapefruit ale even though there was no grapefruit in it. Just cascade and amarillo hops.

While the recipe looks like it will taste good, I don't think it is quite what you are looking for as a drink for a hot summer day. It is a bit high in alcohol for that. I would suggest dropping the OG to about 1.045-1.050 and adjusting the hops to keep the BU:GU ratio the same. In this case you would adjust the bittering hops so you end up with 34 - 38 IBU instead of 50. This will keep the balance of hops and malt the same and will maintain the apparent same level of bitterness.

Wayne
Bugeater Brewing Company

thanks Wayner, your suggestions will be noted. 6.5% is a little high for summer. Maybe drop it to 6% or 5.75% or so. I really don't want it any lower that 5.5%.

But the hopping scedule looks alright?

-Ben

The schedule looks good- but if you're dropping the og a bit, I'd drop the hops just a bit, too. Maybe .50 ounce at each addition. (Please do the math, though because I'm still having my morning coffee).

I think amarillo and cascade are the best combination ever, so I think this recipe looks good. Let us know how it turns out- this might be on my summer list.

Back