Yesterday was a sad day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmward21

Reaction score
Well, I emptied my first home brew keg, an American Amber It's been kegged for about 4 weeks, so no surprise on that one. But minutes later, my second keg (Black IPA) blew foam as well. This one was a surprise since I thought it should have been around half full. So I take it out of the fridge and pop the top to see this....

16219760736_0dac18b2e9_z.jpg

16059530959_30b1162b26_z.jpg

Apparently, when I slide the keg into the fridge it knocked open a small vent that was originally designed to keep vegetables cool in the bottom drawer of the fridge... I had about 2 gallons of ice (very diluted beer) left in it. Nothing else in the fridge was frozen, not even the keg right next to it.

This beer was very thick and hoppy but since it was only my second brew I thought it was just normal...haha. Plus it was an IPA so I was expecting it to be hoppy.

Any rate, looks like I need to get some spray foam and fill that vent so it doesn't happen again.

For reference, it was the red top keg on the left. I have a side by side fridge and the cold freezer air was venting right onto the left side of the keg.

16219830026_f361d1f815_z.jpg

Latest posts

Back