Yesterday I tasted the most amazing stout EVER....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No ideas on how to clone, but I had a glass at Henry's in Portland and it was inspiring. Complex and dense, but I found every flavor on point and distinguishable.

Last years Abyss was indirectly the reason a friend and I were 86ed from the Bier Stein in Eugene (they've since generously allowed me back).

Since it first came out about three years ago, its been a yearly event for me, in which I try to buy up as much as I can before it runs out. I still have a few bottles left. A friend and I tried to brew an imperial stout with the Abyss and Rogue's Imperial Stout in mind. It turned out to be more of a clone of the Rogue Imperial Stout because its a lot easier to get info on, but they both use molasses and brewer's licorice to add complexity. Also, I'm from Eugene too--The Bier Stein rocks!

Just to brag, I have two 22 oz bottles of Abyss for special occasions. Feel free to hate me.

I just drank to 22's of abyss over the weekend. Amazing legs, leaves the glass yellow from all the molasses and licorice. I like to let it warm up a bit then sip on it. I'm going to deschutes in a month I'm can't wait to try it on tap.

I'm gonna have to try it.My favorite so far has to be bareknuckle stout.

I would love to find a clone for the Abyss. This is a heavenly Imperial Stout, which has molasses, licorice and is apparently barrel aged in both French oak and used Bourbon barrels whose contents are then blended before bottling. Simply epic!

Just to brag, I have two 22 oz bottles of Abyss for special occasions. Feel free to hate me.

I still have one bottle left. I personally felt that while damned good, it wasn't that much more spectacular then Old Rasputin. (The other bottle could totally change my perspective though).

No ideas on how to clone, but I had a glass at Henry's in Portland and it was inspiring. Complex and dense, but I found every flavor on point and distinguishable.

Last years Abyss was indirectly the reason a friend and I were 86ed from the Bier Stein in Eugene (they've since generously allowed me back).

Bier Stein dominates.

Off topic I know, but the 'Stein had Salvation on tap yesterday... if I didn't have a full night of brewing ahead of me I might have been 86ed again.

I might be headed over to the Stein after work tomorrow (Friday). Probably sometime like 1:00 or 1:30.

Market of Choice must have over ordered the 2007 Abyss last year. They were unloading it at one point for $6.99. My wife bought 5 bottles of it. I still have about 3 of them left.

Other nice Oregon big stouts are the Deschutes Black Butte XX and Black Flag Imperial Stout.

I just wish I could find this around me. I have looked endlessly and it seems like there is no one who actually distributes down here :(.

Anyone want to trade? :D

I might be headed over to the Stein after work tomorrow (Friday). Probably sometime like 1:00 or 1:30.

Market of Choice must have over ordered the 2007 Abyss last year. They were unloading it at one point for $6.99. My wife bought 5 bottles of it. I still have about 3 of them left.

Other nice Oregon big stouts are the Deschutes Black Butte XX and Black Flag Imperial Stout.
I have to work at 3.

Would probably be a bad thing if I went. :D

I did stop by the Bier Stein today. There were a few interesting things on tap. Ended up having a Great Divide Titan IPA and Nitro Old Rasputin.

On the upcoming board, it said that they will be tapping a keg of Abyss on 1/27. Talking with Chip, he said that it will probably blow in a day. They recently put on a keg of Pliny and blew through it in one day.

Cheers,
Tom

So... I tried this today...

9 Lbs of 2 row pale malt
1 Lb of Crystal 40L
1/2 Lb of Munich Dark
1/4 Lb of Chocolate malt
1/8 Lb of un malted roasted barley

Single infusion mash at 157*, fly sparge with 170* water to collect 6.5 gallons of wort.

Bring to boil and add....

1 Oz Columbus 14% AA hops

AND

1/4 Lb Hershey's powdered baking cocoa
1/4 Lb C&H Sugar
1/4 Lb Kivu fine ground Columbian Roast Coffee

Add in 1/2 Oz of Willamette 4.0's at 15 minutes...

Then chilled and pitched on yeastcake from last weeks Steam beer.

I have never ADDED cocoa or coffee to any of my beers before, but I have gotten coffee and chocolate over tones from the malts.

This could be interesting, or this could be crap...

Won't know for a couple of months.

Yeah, we set up a mini-phone tree for the Pliny tapping. It's really amazing how fast word gets out and beer gets drunk.

P.S.
Firgin Monday is coming up at Eugene City Brewery next week with a cask of Rogue's Mogul Madness. You can have a pint and stick around for the Cascade Homebrewers Meeting.

Firgin Monday is coming up at Eugene City Brewery next week with a cask of Rogue's Mogul Madness. You can have a pint and stick around for the Cascade Homebrewers Meeting.

Yep, we'll be there. Can't beat $3.00 a pint for a Rouge beer, in addition to the great homebrew we all bring to the meeting.

So... I tried this today...

9 Lbs of 2 row pale malt
1 Lb of Crystal 40L
1/2 Lb of Munich Dark
1/4 Lb of Chocolate malt
1/8 Lb of un malted roasted barley

Single infusion mash at 157*, fly sparge with 170* water to collect 6.5 gallons of wort.

Bring to boil and add....

1 Oz Columbus 14% AA hops

AND

1/4 Lb Hershey's powdered baking cocoa
1/4 Lb C&H Sugar
1/4 Lb Kivu fine ground Columbian Roast Coffee

Add in 1/2 Oz of Willamette 4.0's at 15 minutes...

Then chilled and pitched on yeastcake from last weeks Steam beer.

I have never ADDED cocoa or coffee to any of my beers before, but I have gotten coffee and chocolate over tones from the malts.

This could be interesting, or this could be crap...

Won't know for a couple of months.

So, a couple of months have passed. Tried it yet? I would think a coarser grind on the coffee might make it easier to settle out in the primary. I added the coffee 'cold brewed' to the Breakfast Stout I brewed a month ago. Will still be a while before I can comment as to how effective that is.

This seems like the Mecca of Imperial Stouts to try to clone.

Maybe everyone should suggest it to Jamil and Tasty to try and clone it on their show "Can you brew it"

My wife bought me a bottle of an Irish Stout called O'Hara's. It was in a 22oz flip top brown bottle. Absolutely delicious!

I also keep getting newsletters from Rogue saying that their XS Imperial Stout, the one in the ceramic bottle with the flip top has been winning all sorts of awards.

Eugene? I'm here in land-locked New Mexico, but my mom's family is from Eugene/Coburg, and I'll definitely have to try out the Beir Stein when I'm up in Eugene this summer for vacation!

Thanks guys!

I also keep getting newsletters from Rogue saying that their XS Imperial Stout, the one in the ceramic bottle with the flip top has been winning all sorts of awards.

Yeah, unfortunately it's like $15.99 a bottle!

Definitely check out the Beir Stein it's awesome. It has over 1000 different bottled beers and 8 rotating taps. I just had a Blind Pig there the other day.

PS I have 3 Bottles of Abyss in my garage that I plan on cellaring.

Yeah, unfortunately it's like $15.99 a bottle!

True true, but one can often find the Russian Stout for dirt cheap at Rogue's Garage Sales. I still have half a case I picked up for $20 a few months back.

Speaking of which, Eugene City has a garage sale going on right now with cases of Rogue's Imperial Porter (which IMO tastes much like Abyss when after about 6 months of aging) for $26 bones.

Back