YES! Keezer Beginnings!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillyVegas

Reaction score
Sorry, I'm just excited, I had to post.

I FINALLY got around to kegging up my 3 brews (Pumpkin Ale, Newcastle Clone, and Oatmeal Vanilla Stout) into their respective kegs, got them into the BRAND NEW GE 7.0cf chest freezer, and it's chilling at a nice temp.

Only questions as of now:

1) Johnson Control I have set @ 40degF with a 2deg variance. hing gets to 40, then shuts it off as it should, then the freezer gets down to like.. 25 degrees and then works back up to 40. Granted, it's brand new- so I'm assuming this is the way the freezer is adapting to the new environment or... something.

2) One of my kegs, well two, but one mainly seems to have a minor leak out of the OUT post on the keg. Not where it meets the seal, but on the little... nubbin-hole itself. Only a minor leak, and it seems ot have stopped, but it comes back and goes away... very odd. Probably just needs a cleaning I'd think.

3) Very excited. 3 kegs of cold beers. Contemplating my PSI choices...
40degF 12 PSI = Pumpkin Ale
40degF 8 PSI = Oatmeal Vanilla Stout
40degF 8 PSI= Newcastle Clone
Contemplating if these are about right... I suppose its all taste...

I am just amped about cold kegs.
Sorry.

I had a similar problem when I made my kegerator where my freezer would chill down very low and slowly work its way back up, which over time froze the beer in there. I played with different temp probe locations and determined that I had the probe placed too high in the freezer chest, which was making the compressor fire up way too often and run too long. I read a few posts on the topic and decided that I didn't care what the air temp was in the chest, only the temp of the beer, so I taped the probe to a keg about 2/3 of the way down. This immediately solved my problems and my beer kept within my temperature threshold. Hope that helps you out.

I put my temp probe in a bottle of water in the keezer. It is a much more accurate representation of the beer temp. It also keeps the compressor from kicking on and off too much.

I put my thermocoupler in a cup of rice... Keeps the temp much more stable upon opening. Also, I moved this to the base of the keezer as opposed to the compressor shelf... Looks alot more stable now.

Back