yes, it is yet another starter question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glorifiedbusdriver

Reaction score
I am planning on brewing next Friday (9-21) but will be away on business for 4 days starting tomorrow (Sunday). I made a pint starter last night (Friday) and I am planning on stepping it up another pint tonight. While I am gone I was going to have my wife put it in the fridge for me.
Here is my question: I want to step it up one more time on Thursday morning for the Friday afternoon brew. I know it would be good to brew with on Friday if I don't mess with it, so I was just making sure it will be ok to step up one more time after it has spent a few days in the fridge. Sorry for the weird question, unfortunately I can be a little anal when I brew. I just want to make sure I do it right.
By the way I am using White Labs 007 Dry English Ale for a Porter OG 1.065. Thanks.

Charlie

Uh, why not make it the size you want to begin with? IMO you are just inviting an infection by continually opening and adding. Also 1.065 is not a particularly big beer so a 1000ml starter should be plenty.

To answer your question, you should have no problem stepping it up after keeping it in the fridge.

OK, I must be little confused about starters then...I have read many times that you don't make a big starter all at once, you have to step it up in increments. I am going to go back and read all of the other posts about starters again so I will be less confused.

By stepping up a starter you have multiple yeast growth phases (you should aerate every time you add more fermentable wort). You actually end up with more yeast than you would if you simply made one large starter in the first place.

In answer to the OP, yes you can step it up after being in the fridge. Just make sure you leave the starter out for a few hours so it comes up to room temperature before you add your new wort and aerate.

Busdriver - You are correct, per Mr. Malty's pitching calculator for a 1.065 OG, 5.25 gallon of beer you will need a 3 liter starter. So, keep stepping it up until you have your 3 liters.

Just from personal experience, for most average beers I make a two quart starter and it does the job every-time.

glorifiedbusdriver said:
OK, I must be little confused about starters then...I have read many times that you don't make a big starter all at once, you have to step it up in increments. I am going to go back and read all of the other posts about starters again so I will be less confused.

Hey glorifiedbusdriver,

As Clint Eastwood once said "opinions are like ********, everybody's got one" :)
Try the link for some info on starters: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Starter

Cheers.......

Back