Yerba Mate Metheglin!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Psilocybe

Reaction score
A yerba mate infusion I made after a few tries:

Yerba Mate Metheglyn (1 Gallon)

First I boiled around 1/3 gallon of water, removed from heat, then added 3/4 cup of yerba mate and let steep for 10 minutes.

Then I added 3 lbs of local raw wildflower honey and 1/2 tsp of yeast nutrient to a 1 gallon carboy, followed by the tea. Added cap to carboy and shook until honey was dissolved.

Next I added water to the carboy until I reached a gallon and shook again to mix.

Finally I pitched EC118 into the must once it had cooled to 95 degrees and shook a final time before replacing the cap with an airlock.

For 2 days after pitching I added another 1/2 tsp of yeast nutrient each day to aid fermentation.

Primary finished around the 7th day and stayed in secondary around 20 days. Racked twice during secondary and during the final racking I added 1/8 tsp of acid blend (1 tsp of lemon juice works well too).It should be zeroed out or close to it at this point if you used EC1118.

Adding tannins in unnecessary because yerba already has plenty in it.

Campden and potassium sorbate were added at bottling, I like it dry but it was also very good backsweeted slightly with honey.

I have made this successfully 3 times and it has worked out great. Drinkable and tasty right out of the carboy, It has a great mouth feel that is rather unique and hard to describe. The first time I made it I added yerba mate in secondary for 2 days and that led to a overpowering earthy flavor and far too high caffeine levels. The alcohol seems much more efficient at extracting caffeine then water alone. Adding just the tea in primary lets fermentation smooth out the flavor of strong yerba mate, and prevents caffeine levels from becoming uncomfortably strong.

I have never tried Yerba Mate - Green tea - Is it like other green teas rather mild?

Back