Yeaster starter or double yeast for higher ABV

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tberry

Reaction score
Im going to be brewing a 9% stout this evening and I had planned on using 2 packs of S-04. Is this sufficient or would I be better served by making a start with both packs

What will the OG be? My vote is to do a starter, but you would also be better served to check using an online calculator.

I'm going make some assumptions here.

1) OG 1.090, 76% attenuation, 1.020 FG
2) 5.25 gallon batch

Mr. Malty says you'd need about 320 billion cells. Or roughly 18 grams of dry yeast (if properly rehydrated). I'd just pitch two packs ensuring that you rehydrate correctly.

2 packs should be more than sufficient. You should never make a starter with dry yeast. There are lipid reserves built into the cell walls by the manufacturer. This is why they say you don't have to aerate with dry yeast (though I still do). If you make a starter these reserves will be used up and you won't get the positive benefit of them. Plus dry yeast is so cheap that 2 packs would probably cost about the same or less than the extract (not to mention time) for making a starter.

You should definitely rehydrate the dry yeast before you pitch it though.

Hannibal you calculations are spot on. Im shooting for 1.090 and finishing around 1.020 give or take... I appreciate all the fast responses. I normally make a starter with liquid yeast but I never have with dry, but since this one as bigger than I normally make I figure Id get some advice. Thanks a bunch.

2 packs should be more than sufficient. You should never make a starter with dry yeast. There are lipid reserves built into the cell walls by the manufacturer. This is why they say you don't have to aerate with dry yeast (though I still do). If you make a starter these reserves will be used up and you won't get the positive benefit of them. Plus dry yeast is so cheap that 2 packs would probably cost about the same or less than the extract (not to mention time) for making a starter.

You should definitely rehydrate the dry yeast before you pitch it though.

Regarding aeration the dry yeast is package with enough lipids for the cells to double about 3 times. If making a beer with dry yeast above 5%, you should go ahead and aerate it.

http://www.danstaryeast.com/articles/aeration-and-starter-versus-wort

Back