yeast washing white labs 300 hefeweisen yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madkap_78

Reaction score
I just brewed up a blood orange hefeweisen using white labs 300 hefeweisen yeast, I was wondering if I wash this yeast and use it for future hefeweisens if I get any off flavors? Has anyone washed this yeast before and used it? What kind of experience have you had with it? How many times have you washed it before you have gotten off flavors or had trouble getting it to ferment?

This is an excellent question and the main reason I logged on today. I want to do the same thing and wondering this as well.

1. Had anyone tried washing this yeast?

2. What were you're results and opinion of how effective this was?

3. How many generations do you think are safe to use?

I did it and it is pretty tough strain to wash. There was tiny layer of yeast even after 3 or 4 rinsing:

p7170311.jpg

As for reuse, I used it up to 3 generations.
Still have it in my frozen bank, I am thinking to plate it and use it again to see how it will act.

I harvest this yeast rather successfully using the starter technique I wrote an article about... see my signature, or google-- Yeast Harvesting: A Novel Approach?

Back