Yeast Washing & Storage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerryalan

Reaction score
Last night I racked my IPA and washed the yeast (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/yeast-washing-illustrated-41768/) ending up with four pint jars full. I thought I read somewhere that people stored yeast in the freezer so without thinking...I did the same. I checked on them this morning and each one broke the seal on the lid and leaked out a little. Doh!

This is only my second attempt at yeast washing so I'll take this as a lesson learned. On a brighter note, the IPA tastes great :mug:

Haven't done it yet, but I remember reading that these jars are to be stored in the refrigerator. If you want to freeze them you need to add something like glycerin to the mix to reduce the amount of cells that explode from the freezing water.

Could be wrong though.

If you want to freeze them you need to add something like glycerin to the mix to reduce the amount of cells that explode from the freezing water.

Good to know. I'll probably just make room in the fridge where my kegs are next time.

I like your avatar!

Beer Maker is right. Glycerin or glycol (or one of those "g" words) gets added to a solution to protect the yeast from water crystals shreading them during the thawing phase.

Bummer about your washed yeast being toast. Glad your beer turned out great though.

The yeast may not be toast. I'll let someone with more experience chime in here, but you may be able to salvage them. I wouldn't think that all of the cells were killed, you just might want to add a few days on to building up the starter to ensure that there are enough cells present at pitching time.

You play the bass?

I already put the jars in the sink to thaw and rinse. I'm brewing another batch this weekend so I'll just wash that yeast and try again.

I do play bass. I'm actually jamming with some people tonight with the possibility to start up a blues band.

Back