Yeast Washing Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smithn

Reaction score
I forgot to order yeast with a ale kit luckly I had a package of dry yeast from another kit I plan on starting later. So I saved the yeast by following the washing instructions. The only thing I did different was I used 3 32 ounce mason jars taking 16 ounces from each to combine into one 32 ounce jar.

I figure I can just pour out 16 ounces and slice the yeast cake in half, right?

Where do most of the active yeast cell reside, in the cake or the liquid?

I figure it will be 3-4 weeks before I start my next batch. I know alot of people will recomend a starter but is this just to confirm the yeast is alive? Could I not just take a small sample and add some sugar to see if fermentation will take place? A yeast starter will not give me an amount of yeast cells alive just if any are alive enough to start fermenting. So what is the difference of pitching a starter vs just putting in the wort. They are pretty much the same thing.

Washing Dry yeast? I thought people went that route b/c you didn't need a starter and just pitch it and forget it. And cheap so you don't have to hassle with washing yeast.
Anyways I'm guessing it is a ordering or availability issue
so after washing and letting it settle out into the 1 32 oz jar, throw it in the fridge and it will clear up. The yeast will fall to the bottom. If you are looking to split the washed yeast later that still works, just pour off most of the liquid and then split the cake into two jars.

MAKE a starter to get them going and increasing in numbers, unless or washed cake is like over 1/3 of the jar, but if you haven't washed before don't risk a whole batch on the chance your yeast is infected.

I

Where do most of the active yeast cell reside, in the cake or the liquid?

If you followed the yeast washing procedure then they will be in the white deposit at the bottom of the jar and virtually nil in the water.

You might actually end up with 3 layers. Left over trub (darker) on the bottom, Yeast (creamy white) in the middle and clear/brownish liquid, beer on the top. When you use it you can decant the liquid and try to get the yeast separated from the trub. I have not bee too sucessful. I may try a turkey baster to suck the yeast out then make a starter from it.

You might actually end up with 3 layers. Left over trub (darker) on the bottom, Yeast (creamy white) in the middle and clear/brownish liquid, beer on the top. When you use it you can decant the liquid and try to get the yeast separated from the trub. I have not bee too sucessful. I may try a turkey baster to suck the yeast out then make a starter from it.

I washed the yeast pretty good I only have two layers the white yeast on the bottom and brown liquid.

So if I did that whole yeast cake out of the bottom I could pitch the whole thing? Does the yeast cake need to be broken up prior to use?

I washed the yeast pretty good I only have two layers the white yeast on the bottom and brown liquid.

So if I did that whole yeast cake out of the bottom I could pitch the whole thing? Does the yeast cake need to be broken up prior to use?

Sounds like you did a good job washing your yeast. Leaving as much crap in your kettle as possible makes this process easier since you have cleaner trub in your fermenter.

You will be okay using either half or the whole amount in a starter. Personally I would do the whole amount unless you plan to save some for another starter/batch.

Here is a great illustrated post explaining the process.

Yeah that is what I followed when I did it. I just subbed a 32 ounce Jar for the 16 ounce (pint) jar. Making a double batch of yeast cake, I was just wondering how it would effect the batch pitching the whole amount. I am not concerned about over pitching which seems to happen any way when I do a dry yeast. As most of my fermentations seem to boarder on violent side.

I havent used a stater yet, I guess I am waiting for that, oh crap I should of used a stater moment.

Back