Yeast washing and sugar additions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gyllstromk

Reaction score
I'm a few days after brew day and I was planning to add some sugar (~20% of total fermentables) now that the main fermentation thrust is over.

I'm planning to yeast wash and re-use on this batch, as well.

Two related questions:

(1) Knowing that sugar can alter the "eating habits" of the yeast, is it acceptable to reuse yeast that have worked with sugar (especially with it being their most recent meal?)

(2) If I rack to secondary (and wash from primary), then add sugar to secondary, will there be enough yeast to ferment the sugar without being strained/weakened?

I think I read somehwere that if you feed yeast with normal sugar, it looses the ability to then convert the other sugars in the wort.

I think I read somehwere that if you feed yeast with normal sugar, it looses the ability to then convert the other sugars in the wort.

That only apply to a sugar only fermentation, AFAIK. Adding sugar to wort that also contains malt should be fine.

Latest posts

Back