Yeast viability

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jarnock

Reaction score
Ladies and Gentlemen,

I have a vial of White Labs California Ale Yeast V WLP 051 with a best by date of 14 March 2014. Is this okay to pitch to a beer with a 1.070? I'm making a starter on a stir plate, about 1.75 cups of DME and 1.6 liters of water, it'll go for about 20 hours before I pitch. What are your thoughts? I also have a packet of US-05 that I could pitch as well. Thanks for the input, Jarnock.

should be fine. Definitely do a starter.

I have used yeast a month or two after the "best by" date. May take a little longer to get going but there is still viable yeast.

If you pitch that yeast to that starter, you will be doing great! One minor suggestion, I might start it about 48 hours prior to need and cold crash overnight then decant. But your way would work as well.

If you pitch that yeast to that starter, you will be doing great! One minor suggestion, I might start it about 48 hours prior to need and cold crash overnight then decant. But your way would work as well.

Jim, thanks for the tip. I can brew 48 hours from now. Silly question again, just put it in the fridge, pour off the water and pitch the "slurry"?

Well I went ahead and pitched the White Labs California V in the starter. I might wait for two days, not sure yet. Possibly just wait 20 hours.

Hope you like that yeast, it may be my favorate yeast so far. Since you have a stirplate I would be more comfortable pitching sooner if you had to. I don't have one but I usually shake it intermittently for 2 days then crash it for a day and decant.

I have been wanting to try this yeast FOREVER. From what I've read, it's just like White Labs California Ale Yeast (WLP 001) except it is more fruity - which sounds even better IMO.

:rockin:

Back