Yeast type

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

delboy

Reaction score
hi
I'm going to embark on my first all grain brewing, i'm intending to have a go at one of the recipes sugested on this site for a newbie (its someones highly drinkable house ale).
i'd also like to attempt to brew something close to Brooklyn lager (vienna style prohibition lager) i've found a recipe from another site (i have a good idea of the grain bill and hopping )but i really don't have much idea of what yeast to use??
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :) .

Don't try a lager for your first beer; much more complicated, needs to be fermented cool and then lagered for several weeks at a pretty low temp. I'm assuming you don't have those capabilities yet, so I'd stick to ales for the time being.

the_bird said:
Don't try a lager for your first beer; much more complicated, needs to be fermented cool and then lagered for several weeks at a pretty low temp. I'm assuming you don't have those capabilities yet, so I'd stick to ales for the time being.

Im going to be trying EdWorts 'haus pale ale' initially which looks like it'd be an easy brew but i thought i'd also give a lager a go anyway, i reckon even if i mess up it'll still be drinkable (i hope).
i was thinking of using white labs californa lager yeast in the hope it may be more forgiving? But i'm unsure if this yeast is unsuitable for the taste i'm trying to acheive.

delboy said:
i was thinking of using white labs californa lager yeast in the hope it may be more forgiving? But i'm unsure if this yeast is unsuitable for the taste i'm trying to acheive.
I'd say give it a go. The SF lager yeast works well in the mid 50's to low 60's. It has been cool enough here to hold these temps without a refrigerator. I just fermented mine at 58 for 2 weeks and will be transfering Friday and I am thinking of cooling some before I put it in a bottle. I am not really clear on what taste you are looking in your recipe.

To me, brooklyn lager doesn't have much lager character. It's quite fruity. I would brew the recipe with SafAle US-56 between 15 & 20 C (lower 60 F)

Back