Yeast Suggestions for Cold Basement

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rivercity_homebrew

Reaction score
I am planning to brew a pale ale this weekend and I am looking for suggestions on what yeast I should use. My current basement temp is around 57 or 58 degrees and I have no good way to raise the temp of my fermentation. I don't think my wife will allow the beer into the upstairs for the initial stages of fermentation.

My first thought was Kolsch, but I think 58 might be a little cold. Second thought is California Common, but I haven't ever used that strain. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Though not really true to style, Wyeast's German Ale 1007 and Scottish Ale 1728 low end are at 55*F. Kolsch 2565 would probably do fine as well because the fermentation process produces heat so your Ale will be running hotter than the 58*F air in the basement.

WLP810 San Francisco Lager Yeast is also rated that low but is a lager yeast.

http://www.lugwrenchbrewing.com/p/beer-charts.html

You could brew with US-05 or WY1056. Fermentation will raise the wort temperature about 3°F to 4°F. You won't have to worry about keeping the wort temperature from getting to warm.
These two yeast can produce peach flavors under 65°, but if this happens, I don't think it would be very noticeable in a pale ale.

PacMan can supposedly work down to 48 F. I've never taken it that low, but I've never had issues with it in my basement, and it gets below 60 for a while in Winter.

Look for a cardboard box that's big enough to hold your fermenter bucket or carboy or make your own using scrap cardboard or plywood. Get some 1" foam board insulation, and line the inside of the box with it , duct tape the seams inside. Save some 1/2 gallon milk jugs, one should fit in each corner of the box. It will take some experimentation to figure out how many jugs of hot tap water will produce the temperature you want. Change the jugs before work, when you get home and before bed, it only takes a few minutes. You'll need a thermometer to check your "chamber" temp.
You can freeze the jugs for cooler temps in the summer as well.
I made a Kolsch using this setup last summer and it came out good. Your basement temp is fine for Kolsch or San Fran Lager.
Walmart also has a small electric heater with a built in control thermostat for $40. You can use the 1" insulating board to close off a corner of the basement, put the heater in and you can dial up any temp, you want. These kind of set-ups are cheap and simple, but you can make work .

Another thing you can try to warm up your brew is to put some water in a big storage tub and buy a $10 or so aquarium heater. They self-regulate and will keep the temp at X degrees. I throw my buckets in there after the first week of fermentation, when they start to cool off some and they keep the buckets at 68 even though my basement floor is about 60.

With temps in the high 50's, I think you are safe using us-05/wlp001/1056 as long as you cool the wort to high 60's and pitch. The heat kicked off by the yeast will keep you in the optimal fermentation temps.

If you are "very" worried about it, Nottingham is a gold cooler fermenting ale yeast, WLP830 San Fran Lager yeast is a very versatile yeast, although won't leave a beer dry. Some of the European Ale yeasts are good too.

I have a similar basement temp in the winter and have been wanting to brew up a helles or bavarian pilsner or a hoppy pilsner a la Victory Prima Pils with WLP830 (San Fran Lager). It is also perfect for a Cali Common or Irish Red. Also, Wyeast Bavarian Lager strain has been said to make a great lager at the higher end of the temperature threshold (high 50's even low 60's).

What I like about WLP830 is that it doesn't quite require the "lagering" and conditioning time that a I've heard some of the other lager strains need.

Edit: A lot of this is personal opinion and somewhat annectodal.

Another thing you can try to warm up your brew is to put some water in a big storage tub and buy a $10 or so aquarium heater. They self-regulate and will keep the temp at X degrees. I throw my buckets in there after the first week of fermentation, when they start to cool off some and they keep the buckets at 68 even though my basement floor is about 60.

I've done this with aquarium heaters and large buckets of water as well. Works like a charm.

I've also had good luck with Notty. I would pick an aforementioned yeast and try that before bothering with an aquarium heater.

I do plan to eventually get a fermwrap and temp controller so I can dial in temperatures all winter, but right now I don't want to bother. I will be doing lagers later in the winter when temps drop even further and I have 54 degree areas of the basement, but right now I want to brew a Golden Nugget clone.

PacMan is a good suggestion. I really like my beers dry. Has anyone actually brewed with PacMan at that temp?

Otherwise, I will probably go with Nottingham because it is easy.

Stc 1000 controller...$17

Random parts to make it work.....$10

Heating pad .....$12

If you can afford to brew, you can afford this. Your basement is a perfect temp for this setup and you're beer well be noticeably better. I'm sorry for not answering your question, but this is a solution rather than a band aid and is too cheap to ignore.

My 1272 just made it through hours of 58≈

Raise it to 65+ and get fruity esters

Back