Yeast Suggestion - what would you do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nummey

Reaction score
Brewing up my first Partial Mash kit this weekend which is the Surly Bender PM kit from Northern Brewer. I opted for no yeast as I have a packet of S-04 on hand. NB suggests using Wyeast 1335 British Ale II yeast. My LHBS has the Wyeast 1335 on hand but I've never used liquid yeast, made starters etc....only dry.
Am I doing this brew an injustice by using dry yeast?

thanks

Not quite "injustice" but it will not be the same beer, at all. 1335 and S-04 have comparable attenuation, temp, and flocculation characteristics but the flavor will not be the same.

For a 1.060 beer (which the Surly Bender PM kit is) you could also buy and pitch two packs of 1335 if you don't want to tackle starter making quite yet

I'd only use S-04 if you can keep the fermentation temp under 64F. Any higher and it gets nasty fruity to me.

Not quite "injustice" but it will not be the same beer, at all. 1335 and S-04 have comparable attenuation, temp, and flocculation characteristics but the flavor will not be the same.

For a 1.060 beer (which the Surly Bender PM kit is) you could also buy and pitch two packs of 1335 if you don't want to tackle starter making quite yet

Thanks....well I probably should have mentioned that I've never had a surly bender...can't get it where I live. I was drawn to the description....so I guess I don't have anything to measure it against. Do you think I could get away with 1 pack of liquid yeast rather than 2?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Thanks....well I probably should have mentioned that I've never had a surly bender...can't get it where I live. I was drawn to the description....so I guess I don't have anything to measure it against. Do you think I could get away with 1 pack of liquid yeast rather than 2?

No. That is what he was saying. With the 1.060 SG, you're probably better off pitching two. Check Mr. Malty or Yeastcalc (maybe yeastcalculator.com) to see if you'll be under or over pitching.

Making a starter isn't nearly as difficult as what your probably imagining it to be. If you don't have a 2L Pyrex like most of us do, you can use a pot and a Mason jar or growler.

My advice to you; it may not be the exact same beer as if you pitched the 1355, but it's still gonna be good stuff!!

I used 2 qt juice bottles for a while. Just don't screw the cap on tight, leave it so that it moves a bit (up n down).

Making a yeast starter is fairly simple:

1 qt of water, 4 oz of DME boiled for a moment. Cooled down in the fridge to room temp, pitch yeast and hide in a dark place. Swirl/shake it violently several times a day for 2 days. It's ready.

You can also make a larger starter (1.5-2 qts) and save a portion instead of "washing" it for another use. Pour into a sanitized jar and store in the fridge. Label and date it. It's good for 2-4 months.

My science isn't perfect, but it certainly gets you close enough.

Am I doing this brew an injustice by using dry yeast?

thanks

In my opinion, no. NB gives a suggestion and a suggestion is a jumping off point. They don't say, "you have to use this exact yeast or else it'll taste like garbage".

I'm thinking if you have S-04 on hand it means that you've used it before. If you liked the previous flavor profiles, then pitch the S-04. Think of it as your secret ingredient, your personal touch, on a beer kit to make it your own.

I personally just pitched an Oktoberfest yeast into a pilsner because I had it on hand. Wyeast didn't suggest it but I chose to try it anyways.

If you do decide to buy the liquid yeast, definitely make a starter with one vial/smack pack.

There are a lot of options for no-stir starter containers. I use a 1 gallon glass apple cider jug for my large starters.

Back