Yeast stuck in carboy neck?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tonybrau

Reaction score
Pitched my yeast (US-05) and didnt notice some stuck in the upper part of the neck of my 6.5 gallon carboy, they somewhat rehydrated (pitched dry) and they are just stuck there in maybe a dollar coin sized area...should i worry? will they mold and should i try to wash them down somehow?

If you are concerned that there are not enough yeast in the wort, then you could sanitize a turkey baster or wine thief, draw up some wort and wash the stuck yeast down into the carboy.

Leave it alone. There will be lots of dead yeast, hop resin, and grain protein all over the inside of your fermenter by the time fermentation is over. It won't mold and neither will the yeast you spotted. I don't mean to make fun but is this the first time you have brewed in glass?

No it isnt, its just the first time i failed to pitch all the yeast without having any stick in the neck.

Relax. Don't worry. Have a homebrew.
Mold requires oxygen to grow. If there's a lot of oxygen in your carboy, then that's your real problem. Otherwise the yeast will sit there until you clean it off after racking.

If it's really bothering you, then you could shake the carboy hard enough to splash beer up to the top area, but that's not really going to change anything that matters.

Latest posts

Back