yeast storage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hey guys, i have a vacuum packed ale yeast that i want to use, been storing it in the cupboard for a about 6 months. i just noticed the package says store at 41-50 degrees F. will the yeast be bad?

The only way to know for sure is to make a starter and see what happens. In the future, it's always best to store yeast in the fridge.

hey guys, i have a vacuum packed ale yeast that i want to use, been storing it in the cupboard for a about 6 months. i just noticed the package says store at 41-50 degrees F. will the yeast be bad?

Dry yeast. Heck yea, it's fine. I've never stored mine in a fridge (it's recommended.

Response from Dr. Clayton Cone [ Lalvin ]:
Active Dry Yeast, at <5% moisture, is originally packaged in an oxygen free atmosphere either via nitrogen flush or vacuum. Under these conditions they will loose about 20% activity / year when stored at 20C.(68F) and about 5% activity / year when stored at 4C.(40F). It is the presence of Oxygen and the pick up of small amounts of moisture that causes the yeast to deteriorate at a faster rate, once the package has been opened. If you can vacuum pack (kitchen vacuum package equipment)or store in an air tight container and refrigerate you may retain a substantial amount of the activity. It would be wise to increase the inoculum 50% to be on the safe side. It is always a gamble, depending on how much moisture the cells have picked up each time you open and close the package and return to the refrigerator.

That's why I keep my yeast in the lil butter cubby on the fridge door. And the LME containers on the fridge shelf with sealed bags of grain.

I prefer to follow what I know works & keep yeasts & grains in the fridge to slow down degredation. Not to mention moths,etc that love to chew their way into things this time of year. And the LME is always good from the fridge,you did notice I said "fridge shelf"? Piece of mind for me.

I prefer to follow what I know works & keep yeasts & grains in the fridge to slow down degredation. Not to mention moths,etc that love to chew their way into things this time of year. And the LME is always good from the fridge,you did notice I said "fridge shelf"? Piece of mind for me.

I'd have a really hard time keeping 750#+ of malt in any fridge. :mug:

MC

I don't buy grain in bulk...yet. Much less by the pick up truck load. I'd need a walk in for that. Kinda like to have one anyway...

Unmilled grain is just fine at room (or basement) temperatures. If it's been milled, I'd want to vacuum pack it so that it doesn't go stale. Then it can be stored at the same temps since no air is in it.

I keep all my yeasts in the fridge though. As already posted, they lose less viability when kept in the fridge, compared with outside the fridge. Since dry packets use up so little space, it's not an issue to store in the fridge.

My feelings as well on the yeast,regardless of type. But the grains I got from midwest with the cascade pale ale kit were supposed to be crushed. If they were,it wasn't done very well,cause the grains are whole. Some look like they maybe have some "cracks" in them. A little dust on the side of the bag that was facing down in the box. Zip tied bag too. & since I have a newer good quality fridge,it doesn't get overly humid in there.
Took the bag out once to let it come to room temp,& no condensation as I watched it warm up. So it'll stay in the fridge for now,since it doesn't look very crushed to me...:confused:

Latest posts

Back