yeast starting ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bruhaug

Reaction score
I've followed the yeast washing wiki pictures and tutorial to a 'T". I know i've got to make a starter for my next batch. Do i need a stir-plate or do i just make a starter with the harvested yeast in the fridge. sorry for the simple question, I just wan to make sure i get it right.

No, you dont need a stir plate. All they do is help the yeast grow while your starter is going. I use one and like the results, but its not needed. Check out http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

It will show you how big of a starter you need to make, based on what method you are using

I've switched to using empty wine bottles for my starters, an upgrade from 2L soda bottles. At least the wine bottles have flatter bases. Assuming you got a decent amount of yeast in the bottom of your jar here's what I do.

Sanitize the lid of the jar and pour off most of the liquid.
Let the slurry sit at room temp for a while (few hours maybe).
Boil 1/2 cup of DME in 1 pint of water.
Cool the wort.
Clean and sanitize wine bottle.
Pour wort into jar and swirl.
Pour contents of jar into wine bottle.
Plug the bottle with sanitized stopper and shake the snot out of it.
Remove stopper and replace with sanitized foil.
Keep bottle next to you while you watch TV and shake frequently.
Leave at room temp overnight and pitch the following day.

If your beer is particularly high gravity you may double up the starter process. Just decant the new liquid off after the yeast settles out and repeat the process. Most beers I don't seem to need to. I'm still using a #1098 I bought over a year ago that is on it's second and final washing.

Make beer dude!

Latest posts

Back