Yeast Starters for 10 Gallon Batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rjbergen

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
We made the jump from 5 gallon batches to the 20 gallon Spike Solo+ and now brew 10 gallon batches. I’m curious what everyone does for yeast starters for 10 gallon batches.

For 5 gallon batches, I did 100g DME in 1L of water and pitched a pack of liquid yeast and left it on the stir plate for 18-24 hours.

We‘ve brewed a couple 10 gallon batches now. For these, I’ve been using 2 packs of liquid yeast and keeping the 100g DME in 1L water ratio, but upping the starter so that wort plus the liquid yeast (usually 125 mL/pack, so 250 mL for 2 packs) is equal to 2L since we only have a 2L erlenmeyer. Our brews have all fermented well.

My main is, could we use a single pack of liquid yeast, and up the starter to 4L and still have a high enough pitch rate? It would save a few bucks per brew.

I do 10 gallon batches, like to pitch at 1M cells/ml/°P, and use a 5L e-flask to do over-built starters to provide enough extra yeast to save for the next big starter. I use Brew United's Homebrew Dad yeast calculator which makes the math easy :)

Here's an example set-up:

1615739398403.png

Cheers!

I do 15 gallon batches and still just do a 1L starter with fresh yeast. Ales and lagers. Get it going about a day in advance and try to pitch the whole thing at high krausen.

Back