yeast starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irishwater

Reaction score
I have never done a yeast starter. I have only hydrated my yeast. The big question I have is should the dme you use be the same type as your beer? I would think that if you used a different dme type you might get an off flavor? Should I make the jump to a smack pack and tube yeast?:rockin:

If you decant before pitching it doesn't really matter too much, but as a general rule use the lightest DME you can find so that it will have a negligible affect on color.

I use liquid yeasts, and make starters all the time. I just use light (or extra light) DME. Liquid yeast is more expensive, so I also do some yeast washing and save it. (We have a really good sticky thread on yeast washing).

When using dry yeast, there is no need to make a starter. The yeast are "frozen" ready and a starter can actually be detrimental to the their health. Just re-hydrate and go.

For the liquid yeast (pack or tube). The DME does not need to be the same, but stay within reason. I use light DME for all my starters.

Should you use dry vs. liquid? That is up to you and the beer style you are trying to brew. I use dry yeast for most of my American type ales and liquid yeast for most other styles.

Back