Yeast starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cammyg

Reaction score
What difference does it make between using the recommended DME vs plain table sugar?

The yeast you propagate will be more accustomed to a maltose-y environment for when you pitch it into full wort.

Table sugar is far easier to digest than the sugars in DME. If you build a starter with table sugar, your yeast will learn to be "lazy." At least that's what I read somewhere.

Yeast will not be conditioned to the sugars they are being pitched into. but will be ready to go. should only hold up the brew by a little.

What about using some 2 row and doing a mini 20 minute steep while the water is getting up in temp ?

What about using some 2 row and doing a mini 20 minute steep while the water is getting up in temp ?

This would work OK, in my opinion.
I've made starters using wort and extract when pitching liquid and dry yeasts. Never had any problems with getting successful fermentations this way in batches up to 5gal @1.050 or lower.

When using dry yeasts sometimes the common practice is simple hydration at room temperature. I like the yeast to get a head start by energizing them a bit and getting them ready to "eat" wort. Typically my lag times are short, but the last pitch took almost 12 hours (slow for me) to show signs of positive yeast growth, but that was due to using lager yeast, lower ambient temps, and an intentional underpitch.

I think the word you wanted to use is "mash," not steep.
But yes, you can make your own starter wort instead of using DME. On the other hand, is it worth it spending an hour (or longer) on brewing 1.5-2 liter of wort?

You could make some extra wort during brewing and freeze it. Then thaw it out when you want to make your starter. It's probably best to reboil or re-pasteurize it (160F for a few minutes) for all security.

The only time I use DME anymore is when I make slants and plates.
I keep 10 pounds or so of Pilsner or 2 row Malt (try to buy on sale .99 cents) on hand and use 1.5 pounds brew in a bag to make starter wort. I put the strike water and grains in a cooler and wrap in a blanket for an hour or so to Mash.
I have worked out my water volumes and typically only have to boil for ten minutes just to sanitize the wort.
It takes a little extra time and planning but I make a lot of starters and this works out really well without the high cost of DME.
If you only make a few starters a year it might not be worth the effort.

Back