Yeast starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wesd25

Reaction score
Can i use a mason jar to store my yeast starter in? Also should I screw down original lid on mason jar or use aluminum foil? And I do not have a stir plate how often should I shake it? And lastly how long should I let the yeast sit before using? Thanks guys!!

wesd25 said:
Can i use a mason jar to store my yeast starter in? Also should I screw down original lid on mason jar or use aluminum foil? And I do not have a stir plate how often should I shake it? And lastly how long should I let the yeast sit before using? Thanks guys!!
Yes you can make a starter in just about anything as long as it's properly sanitized. You want it loosely covered so O2 can get in as that's what the yeast consume to multiply so I use a piece of sanitized foil that sits on the vessel Once fermented out then you can cover tight and fridge it to crash and then decant when ready to pitch.

IMO a starter is good in the fridge for a week or so, if longer then another small starter should be made up to get things going again

Back