Yeast starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

howbrewyoudo

Reaction score
I know that yeast starters are needed for high gravity beers. What I am wondering is at what point original gravity wise do they become needed, and does it also depend on the type of beer? I was planning to make an IPA with an original gravity that should be around 1.064. Should I do a yeast starter, would I be fine with an American ale wyeast pack, or are there other suggestions out there? Thanks in advance for the advice and suggestions.

Yes, you need a starter. Generally, I make a starter for any beer, regardless of the gravity. It ensures that there are healthy enough yeast in adequate numbers when I pitch. Check out this link for help with making it. This is what I always use.

http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

Technically you can make a starter(using liquid yeast) for any gravity beer. However you need to determine what your pitching rate is to figure out how large of a starter it needs to be. I would check out mrmalty.com. There are some good reads on starters and pitching rates.

Regardless of strength, I make a starter. It aids in a faster start to fermentation, among other things. I agree with tally; you need to determine your pitching rate and make a starter according to that.

I have started to make starters for all my brews that I use liquid yeast on. Ever since I have been doing that the quality of my beer has gotten significantly better.

With Dry Yeast I believe the wisdom is to re-hydrate, but not make a starter. Hope that helps!

+1 to all of the above, making a starter is recommended for use of all liquid strains of yeast. Even though the pack states it is good for beers up to 1.060 a lot has to do with the production date and viability of the cells in the pack.

You can go to either http://www.mrmalty.com or http://www.yeastcalc.com. Personally I use yeast calc because it allows for stepped starters.

You can visit either site and plug in the numbers including the date of the yeast and see how it all works and you will get an idea of where your pitching rate should be for any type and gravity of beer. Since I began using liquid yeast I have made a starter for every beer and they have definitely improved with proper pitching rates and of course, fermentation temperature controls.

has anyone ever tried crafting the same beer with and without a yeast starter? i suggest you try it if you haven't.

i no longer make yeast starters for beers under 1.080.

has anyone ever tried crafting the same beer with and without a yeast starter? i suggest you try it if you haven't.

I for one will NOT risk a 1.080 grain bill on the chance that the yeast might do and adequate job. I would rather KNOW that the yeast will make my beer the best that it can be, given all the other variables.

But, whatever works for you.

brewski08 said:

I have and that is why I make a starter for each and every batch:)

Latest posts

Back