Yeast Starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dentdr

Reaction score
I have come to the conclusion that doing a yeast starter is by far better than just adding the dry yeast package to my wort. When using the started yeast after 12 hours of getting it up and running makes for a much livelier fermentation.

That's what I hear. Just ordered a nice Beaker and some DME to try that during my next batch.

Are u planning on using liquid yeast for ur starter? It is not recommended to make a starter using dry yeast.

That's what I hear. Just ordered a nice Beaker and some DME to try that during my next batch.

You will see a noticeable difference in the fermentation, more krausin (not sure of spelling LOL) and your air lock will be buzzing!

How big is your starter? There are somewhere north of 200 billion cells in a dry yeast packet. To benefit rather than hurt the yeast (dry yeast is designed not to require a starter), you'd need a very large starter indeed. A starter that would probably cost more to make than just picking up a second packet.

dentdr said:
Nope, I use dry and have had no issues what so ever!

You might not notice any issues, but dry yeast should not be used with a starter. Thy are designed to be dumped in or rehydrated.

I rehydrate when using dry yeast and always have active fermentation within 12 hours.

OP: Your comparison isn't completely valid. According to Chris White (I don't have a hemocytometer to measure the amount of yeast) direct pitching dry yeast can kill up to half of the cells. I suspect you may see similar results if you simply rehydrated your dry yeast.

How big is your starter? There are somewhere north of 200 billion cells in a dry yeast packet. To benefit rather than hurt the yeast (dry yeast is designed not to require a starter), you'd need a very large starter indeed. A starter that would probably cost more to make than just picking up a second packet.

thats why i only use between 1/4 to 1/2 the pack.

Back