Yeast starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K5MOW

Reaction score
Hi all

I just got my stir plate and yeast starter kit. I am going to brew on Friday and I just started my yeast starter. I used 2 1/2 cups water and 1/2 cup of DME. How many days ahead should I start a starter befor brew day. I started mine two day befor brew day. Is this about the right time.

Thanks Roger

I say two days if pitching the whole starter and at least three days if you're decanting.

Thanks for the info. How long can you leave the starter befor brewing? How many days would be ok befor you brew?

Roger

I wouldn't go too long, but if you're decanting it, I'd say you could chill it and it would last every bit of a week.

It should be ok up to a week in the fridge. However, if kept that long then I would decant and add some fresh wort.

The idea is to pitch the starter when the yeast is at peak krausen, or right after. Sometimes it's not possible, of course.

If you need to let the starter sit, you can put it in the fridge or at room temperature, and a 24-48 hours before you intend to pitch, decant the liquid from the sediment, and add fresh wort. You should reach high krausen within that time period.

M_C

If you have that week to spare, I would perform at least one quick chill, decant, and refill with 1.020 - 1.030 wort from your DME to get extra yeast slurry. I always try to chill/decant one last time and pitch only the slurry. I don't want to speak heresy, but many homebrewers just don't have the capabilities to produce the cells required by Mr Malty. Just try to get what you can out of your system. You will still make beer.

Back