Yeast Starter vs Top sprinkling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LittleBroBrews

Reaction score
So I was wondering about yeast starters over rehydrating yeasts and just adding on top at primary fermentation, what are people's views on these and what if any difference does it make.

Example: A Belgian Blonde
OG: 1.073 FG:1.018

If I was to create a starter and used just one package of Wyeast Belgian Abbey Ale II 1762 I would get the amount of cells I would require for a rapid clean fermentation prior to adding this to the primary and everyone would be happy.

But if I didn't have the time to create the starter could I just take two packets of the same yeast and add them direct to the primary?

would I get the same turn out? Or will I be adding to much yeast and end with sulphuric aromas?

What dry yeast do u have on hand that you are considering over the Wyeast 1762. And when were you planning on brewing? Making a starter with one pack would save you some cash (albeit very little, say less then five bucks) but if your in a bind with time, pitch two packs and you should be fine if liquid is the way you wanna go. Otherwise just go with the dry.

As far as rehydrating the dry, i always do that. Some instructions say do it, others don't. And people here have very different views concerning the need to rehydrate. As far as im concerned with everything ive ever read, it doesn't HURT, it only helps so I rehydrate but again thats just MY personal preference.

Also for what its worth, MrMalty suggestions 1.3 packs of 11.5g dry yeast and 2 packs liquid yeast with a 1.28 L starter if ur using a stir plate if the yeast has a production date of May 1st or sooner. if ur using a simple starter, up that to a 3.4L starter.

Also, I have experience with the regular Belgian Abbey strain (Wyeast 1214) and its a slow starter. Took almost 45 hours to show any amount of activity even with a starter and then i needed a blow off. Not sure if the 1762 is similar but you may want to keep it in the back of your head so you don't find urself replacing/sanitizing a carboy that has bubbled over and shot the airlock halfway across the room like I did.

I haven't got a brew day in mind yet but sometime in the near future. Most likely within the month.

For dry yeasts I have used safale s-04 in the past rehydrated in wort then added direct to primary which worked well. primary kicked off within a few hours then was done within a few days. I used 16.5g yeast rehydrated that in 10x it's weight of wort. This was for a porter I made. No off flavored noticed.

In regards to liquid yeasts I haven't had a lot of experience with them so can't really compare my dry yeasts with liquid attempts. I didn't have a dry yeast in mind to use but if you have suggestions then they will be taken into consideration.

So in regards to my question before, I could just spend the 5 bucks extra and add two packs of the wyeast direct to primary and it would make little to no difference than if I had used one pack with a starter.

I think people were confused by your use of terminology. You don't normally "sprinkle" liquid yeast into wort - that term usually implies dry yeast. Also, in you first post, you used the word "rehydrating," which again suggested you were talking about dry yeast.

To answer your question, yes, you could just use 2 packets of the (liquid) yeast, added directly to your primary. It would be approximately the same yeast number of yeast cells as doing a 1.5 - 2L starter with a single yeast pack.

Actually, for a 5 gallon batch with an OG of 1.079, you're looking at pitching over 3 packs, if you want to pitch the recommended amount. 2.8 packs are recommended if the yeast was produced today, 3.6 packs if it was produced a month ago. If you're making something like a 3 gallon batch, then you're good with 2 packs.

As a rule, I always make starters for my beers when using liquid yeast. The yeast multiplies to the appropriate cell count to ferment the beer and it's active, ready to ferment your batch when you pitch it.

I've pitched two packs in the past but fermentation was slow to start and that beer had a lot of ester and fusel off flavors. That was before I knew the importance of pitch rate and just assumed two packs would be enough. It wasn't. That beer never came around. It aged for over 10 months and never improved. I dumped most of it.

Edit:
Woops, I misread your OG, it's 1.073, not 1.079. Either way, mrmalty.com still recommends over 3 packs for a 5 gallon batch, if the yeast was produced 1 month ago.

I haven't got a brew day in mind yet but sometime in the near future. Most likely within the month.

For dry yeasts I have used safale s-04 in the past rehydrated in wort then added direct to primary which worked well. primary kicked off within a few hours then was done within a few days. I used 16.5g yeast rehydrated that in 10x it's weight of wort. This was for a porter I made. No off flavored noticed.

In regards to liquid yeasts I haven't had a lot of experience with them so can't really compare my dry yeasts with liquid attempts. I didn't have a dry yeast in mind to use but if you have suggestions then they will be taken into consideration.

So in regards to my question before, I could just spend the 5 bucks extra and add two packs of the wyeast direct to primary and it would make little to no difference than if I had used one pack with a starter.

I don't have any real suggestions since its a belgian strain and those are very particular to the style/flavor profile ur looking for. Given that its a high OG brew i'd be inclined to recommend u def go with the liquid here, unless someone with more experience chimes in with some suggestions. Again thats just me.

As far as the extra packs, yes u could just spend a bit more and pitch additional packs but like julioardz said above, i think three would be better if ur NOT gonna go with the starter. Or go with 2 and a starter. or even go with one pack and step up the starter 2-3 times. Stepping up the starter is prob the cheapest albeit it a bit more involved. If u don't have any experience with that lemme know and i'll send ya a link and some info on that.

Latest posts

Back