Yeast starter timing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weizenheimer

Reaction score
I will be doing my first yeast starter for a large batch I am brewing on Sunday. I plan to do the starter tonight (Thursday) leave it at fermentation temp for until Saturday, put it in the fridge and then pull it out and decant a few hours before I need to pitch. Does this sound like the right process/timing?

Thanks!

I've read the same, and that process has worked just fine for me. Just made a starter last night to brew a 90 Minute Clone on Saturday.

I do my starters either the night or two nights before my brew. I haven't noticed a difference between the two. An article I read (I think on the Mr. Malty site) says all the activity for yeast is done within 8-18 hours. I haven't tried it but I know some people make their starters in the morning to brew in the evening of the same day.

If you make your starter more than two days out you need to refrigerate it and let it warm to near pitching temp before pitching.

Back