Yeast Starter Temperatures and Fermenting Temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beeratier

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I ferment my starters at about 75 degrees F. and I pitch them into wort that is also 75 degrees. Then I put the carboy in a storage room that is about 63-64 degrees.

Is this too much of a shock for the yeast to go from 75 down to 63-64?

I am keeping within the recommended temps for the different yeasts I'm using. I have Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale working on a Porter and Wyeast 1275 Thames Valley on a British Bitter.

The Thames Valley did the whole violent, churning, swirling thing but didnt have much of a krausen while the Irish Ale is going nuts right now with a huge foamy krausen.

Will different yeasts have different krausen activity/levels?

Thanks in advance for any feedback. You have all been a great help in my brewing adventures.

The English yeast can vary a great deal and look pretty odd at times. I would say in general, standard practice is to cool to the low 60s and let the yeast warm things up. Making your starters at 75 is OK, but then I would cool them to lower than the wort temp before pitching. The yeast when pitched to a cooler wort or when the worts cools after pitching, tells the yeast to drop out. They say swings in temp should should never be more than 3-4 degrees. Also the temps shown on the label are a little high. At higher temps they produce phenols and fruity esters. Stay 3-4F lower and the taste will be a little cleaner and more to style.

Back