Yeast Starter - Restarter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndDrink916

Reaction score
I made a starter, ran on the plate, and cold crashed about 3 weeks ago for a brew day. That brew day was cancelled and the crashed starter remains in the fridge today.

Can I just decant that starter in the fridge. Make a new starter with my second flask, and pitch the yeast into the new starter? Seems simple enough to me but let me know.

thank you all!

Just listened to a podcast with Denny Conn saying after he ferments in his primary he gets it in a container, sanitized of course, and keeps it for a few months. (up to 5) If you don't have the means to go and get another vial or smack pack you could use it. Decant and put more DME and see what happens. If you have another flask or growler, make your wort and dump a portion in it. According to Denny he used roughly 3 table spoons and its worked for him. Again if you close to a homebrew store buy fresh yeast I say.

There should be plenty of yeast to make a starter. Just give it a sniff for off smells before pitching into beer!

Back