Yeast starter question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olotti

Reaction score
First I don't have a stir plate but I've made starters in the past and it's worked out I just use Brewers friend to calculate my pitching rate. So this starter is for a ris I'm using wlp002 with a born on March date. Anyway made a 3 l starter Friday let that go till Sunday morning then cold crashed. Removed starter this morning and mad a 2.5l starter wort of 1.040. So decanted after warming the starter to room temp, cooled new wort to 65 then added the new wort to the yeast cake. Anyway within an hour of swirling it was foaming like crazy assuming it's hitting high krausen I just can't figure how it happened so fast after the addition of the new wort. I would've thought it would've taken some time to get to this point. Any theories on how this happened. I'm gonna let this starter go till Tomm night, cold crash and then use the starter on wed for my ris. View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1428944629.597665.jpg

Just a thought, but the yeast was probably all still very active from the previous starter that it was in, and just had more sugars to feed off of when you added the new wort so went to town right away

Just a thought, but the yeast was probably all still very active from the previous starter that it was in, and just had more sugars to feed off of when you added the new wort so went to town right away

That's what I was thinking since it was a pretty short cold crash, there was a nice thick layer though that had settled out nicely. Hopefully with the new injection of wort I'll get a nice amount of yeast from this starter.

Agreed, also rate of CO2 production is directly proportional to biomass. After two days the first step may not have been done without a stir plate.

Agreed, also rate of CO2 production is directly proportional to biomass. After two days the first step may not have been done without a stir plate.

i work all day Tomm and won't be able to swirl the jug at all so would cold crashing this now during what appears to be peak activity be detrimental. My other option is to just wait until Tomm night and then cold crash it overnight but it may not do much as I'm brewing on Wednesday.

I would let it finish either way. If you cold crash too early, it might not settle out. If it's done, an overnight crash should be sufficient. I doubt you would taste the starter in a RIS if you have to dump the whole thing, if it's only 2.5L?

I agree. With the large biomass it should finish pretty quickly. Try this calculator to estimate how much time it will take:
http://www.woodlandbrew.com/2015/02/starter-calculator.html

Looks like a very healthy starter to me! What is the OG of the wort you plan to pitch this in?

Back