yeast starter question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rival178

Reaction score
I made my yeast starter today, is there anyway I can start making the beer tonight? What is the shortest time you can make a yeast starter then use it to make the beer?

Well considering it is better to at least have a starter started then not, and if you pitch everything and not decant. The earliest I have pitch a starter was between 6 and 8 hours. It didn't mean that the starter was through with reproducing or that there still wasn't some lag time to deal with..But at least the yeast was more awake than if I/you pitched it straight outta the packet or tube.

This is what my starter usually looks like by the time I pitch it, about 1-2 or so days in.
19757_215626987676_517337676_3258888_2909368_n.jpg

Listening to one of the Brewstrong episodes with Jamil and John Palmer, they said they both frequently make the starter the same day they brew. If it works good enough for them I think you're ok.

Depending on the size of the starter you aren't increasing the cell count so much as just waking up the yeast. If you're using liquid yeast, most products are considered ready-to-pitch, so you will be fine. My biggest reason for making a starter is a faster onset for fermentation. I get antsy waiting for the airlock bubbles. As long as you aren't brewing high-gravity (over 1.060+) you can skip the starter with no major consequence.

Back