Yeast starter- how long before it's ready?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

humulene

Reaction score
I am planning to brew on Thursday (in about 48 hours). The soonest I can make a starter is tonight (about 36 hours before brewing). Is that enough time before pitching for the yeast to do their thing?

It's a bigger beer with an OG of 1.077.

Thanks for the response! What has me wondering is something that I read in Palmer's book "How to Brew." He states that yeast need 18 hours after their peak activity (in the starter) to build reserves of Glycogen and Trehalose. This is especially true of yeast started in extracts which contain refined sugars. I don't know if my extract does or not but it wouldn't be a brew day if there was nothing to worry about!

I've heard of folks who make a starter the night before they brew. I think the bottom line is that a starter increases the yeast cell count, and it gets them in the mood to chew wort. It probably can't hurt, even if the time between making the starter and pitching the starter is less than optimum. When in doubt, make the starter.

I actually took my first crack at a yeast starter for my barley wine. I built it up twice (using 2c. of water and 1/2c. of DME) each time. Started it on Wednesday, brewed on Sunday.

All I can say is it was VERY effective. I had fermentation starting in under 12 hours. However, the fermentation was crazy strong. So much so that my airlock must have gotten plugged and the carboy pressurized while I was at work. By the time I got home, I was cleaning wort off my ceiling. Yes, the ceiling.

I can only imagine it must have went off like a champagne cork sometime during the day. I switched to a blowoff tube and am hoping for the best. The next time I use a starter, I think I'm going straight to the blowoff tube for the primary ferment.

Thanks for the advice! I have the starter under way right now. I will definitely use a blow off tube. I actually use a blow off tube every time I brew but have only needed it once.

WoodlandBrew: I will check out your work on yeast when I can sit and concentrate on it. I was at work all day so I haven't had time to really dive in but it looks interesting.

I always make my starters the night before I brew. Usually ends up between 18 and 20 hours from when I make the starter to when I pitch the yeast in my brew. I always have fermentation going before I go to bed on brew day, usually within three to five hours and I always end up with krausen in my blow off tube.

I'd call three days the minimum. I was on a timeline for my first starter and was right down to the wire. Only until day 3 in the evening did I get any sign of growth. Pitched after a few hours and the brew itself turned out fine, and I've washed and stored the yeast for the next batch.

Back