Yeast starter help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msehler

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So, I came home drunk last night and knew I had to make my starter for a Pike Kilt lifter clone to be brewed on Saturday (est. 1.067 OG).
I've never made a starter, and never used Mr. Malty (luckily I found a link to the calculator because I was either on the wrong site, or the calculator link is impossible to find when drunk). Mr. Malty told me I needed over 2 liters of starter (can't remember the exact volume); having only a 2 liter flask, I decided 2L would be appropriate. Somewhere I found that for 2 liters I needed X amount of grams and X amount of grams = 1 1/2 cups (X is unknown because I was drunk and didn't have a scale, so it was irrelevant).

Does this sound right? 1 1/2 cups of light DME to 2L of water?

So I attempt to boil the flask in a pan with water in it. After about 30 minutes of boiling and running the pan dry twice, I gave up and thought it was probably sanitary enough. I then ran it under some cool water and then an ice bath. I THEN added the DME which basically put the level of liquid all the way to my stopper.

Is this correct? or should I have put my DME in, then added water up TO 2L?

Anyway...it's going now (hopefully). With a bung and airlock despite having heard NOT to use an airlock. I might switch to foil tonight.

Any tips, tricks, pointers? The "pictorial" yeast starter won't load for me, so that was out. Is this going to krausen over? I have it sitting in a small stock pot in case that happens.

I boil the DME in water just like boiling wort, but I do it for about 3-5 minutes. Then I out it in the flask and chill it in an ice bath and pitch my yeast. These are the instructions that came with my yeast starter kit from AHS and it works great.

Latest posts

Back